Going back to Gymnastics at 16 years old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Izzydizzy33

Gymnast
Hi! When I was in 4th grade I was a level 4 gymnast (I am now 16 years old and going into the 11th grade). After that year I decided to quit to commit to soccer. Over the past 3 or 4 years, I got a few head injuries and I was forced to quit but I was told that I could go back to gymnastics. I'm thinking about joining the school's gymnastics team which sounds fun! The only thing is the coach picks the top people for each event to actually compete. I really want to be able to compete and I am willing to do whatever it takes to improve. My best skill before I quit was a standing tuck and a round off tuck. All my other skills on vault beam and bars were standard level 4 skills. I know for sure that I can do a standing and round off back handspring on the regular ground but I haven't attempted to do a back tuck because I don't have any mats just in case something were to happen. What do you think the best way quickly to improve is before I graduate? I am going to sign up for classes before the high school team starts up (gymnastics is a winter sport at my school). I am thinking that I would either do regular gymnastics classes half of the week and tumbling classes the other half (probably alternating classes every day). But I was also thinking of just doing tumbling classes (because floor is my favorite event) so that I can improve my floor skills faster with a more focused goal and hopefully eventually get to compete quicker. All your feedback, advice, tips, and questions are very much needed and appreciated! Thanks!!

Strength work and flexibility will help you a lot. You need the strength and flexibility to make sure you do not get injured. You can do this at home (watch your form) or with a strength coach.

I would take regular classes too since strength build in other events transfers to everything. I would not recommend you have a class each day though. Again, injuries are common and your body might not have the endurance for a practice each day.

Good luck in your journey!

Hi! When I was in 4th grade I was a level 4 gymnast (I am now 16 years old and going into the 11th grade). After that year I decided to quit to commit to soccer. Over the past 3 or 4 years, I got a few head injuries and I was forced to quit but I was told that I could go back to gymnastics. I'm thinking about joining the school's gymnastics team which sounds fun! The only thing is the coach picks the top people for each event to actually compete. I really want to be able to compete and I am willing to do whatever it takes to improve. My best skill before I quit was a standing tuck and a round off tuck. All my other skills on vault beam and bars were standard level 4 skills. I know for sure that I can do a standing and round off back handspring on the regular ground but I haven't attempted to do a back tuck because I don't have any mats just in case something were to happen. What do you think the best way quickly to improve is before I graduate? I am going to sign up for classes before the high school team starts up (gymnastics is a winter sport at my school). I am thinking that I would either do regular gymnastics classes half of the week and tumbling classes the other half (probably alternating classes every day). But I was also thinking of just doing tumbling classes (because floor is my favorite event) so that I can improve my floor skills faster with a more focused goal and hopefully eventually get to compete quicker. All your feedback, advice, tips, and questions are very much needed and appreciated! Thanks!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back