WAG Gold vs Level 6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

penelope20_1999

Coach
Proud Parent
I am only mildly familiar with the XCEL program. This is not for anything specific other that the curiosity aspect.

What are the differences in the Handspring Vault deductions in Level 6 vs the Handspring in Gold XCEL?

Thanks!

For one I'm pretty sure the run isn't judged in Xcel but is judged in Level 6. I'm not 110 percent sure what else but our girls that competed gold last year and are competing 6 this year are definitely seeing lower scores in L6.

As a general broad sweeping statement, deductions are less in Xcel. .2 in xcel may be a .3-.5 in JO

Where there are deductions in Xcel that are also in level 6, they are actually the same deduction. But there are some decisions in Level 6 that are not allowed to be taken in Xcel, and that is the difference.
There are also deductions specifically mentioned for Xcel that are not for L6 (although they do exist there too).
After my "in-depth" perusal of the deductions for both, here is what I have discovered:
Level 6: Angle of Repulsion (up to 1.00) … leaving the table by vertical = no deduction; from 1º - 45º = deduct 0.05 - 0.50; leaving the table from 46º to horizontal = 0.55 - 1.00
Xcel Gold: Failure to join (slide) heels together on controlled extension of landing with feet a maximum of hip-width apart = up to 0.10. L6 has this deduction, but it is worded as no deduction IF the slide is done.
Xcel Gold: Landing with feet staggered (one in front of the other) = up to 0.10. In L6, this deduction is only taken if the gymnast sticks the landing. I would hope that the judges for Xcel Gold sessions would have the same consideration.

image.png
There are charts in the JO and Xcel COP with the very specific deductions (these screen shots don't show them all because all the columns scroll down). I will say that at least in our area (region 6) JO scores much, much harder. Two seasons ago, Puma Jr won vault twice in Xcel Gold, and last season in L4 the same vault never even medaled. I think 8.7 was the highest. Good luck!

View attachment 6450 There are charts in the JO and Xcel COP with the very specific deductions (these screen shots don't show them all because all the columns scroll down). I will say that at least in our area (region 6) JO scores much, much harder. Two seasons ago, Puma Jr won vault twice in Xcel Gold, and last season in L4 the same vault never even medaled. I think 8.7 was the highest. Good luck!
In compulsories, the run is judged in addition to the actual vault.
OG, in Xcel Gold, had a high vault score of 9.000. In L6 this season, she got a 9.200 in the first meet. When she was a compulsory gymnast, she had a high of 8.650.

In compulsories, the run is judged in addition to the actual vault.
OG, in Xcel Gold, had a high vault score of 9.000. In L6 this season, she got a 9.200 in the first meet. When she was a compulsory gymnast, she had a high of 8.650.
Yes, true. :)

Really?! I was always told the run is judged in L4/5. I believe you, just curious! What exactly is dynamics deduction?

In Levels 1-3 a gymnast can lose up to .9 for their run and body position as they hit the board. In 4 & 5 the run isn't judged technically, however a gymnast can lose up to .3 for insufficient dynamics which would include things like a slow run, a lack of acceleration, a stutter step at the board, lack of block off the table, even height and distance play a role even though there are separate deductions for those.

As an aside, dynamics also comes into play on bars, beam and floor but it's up to .2 for those.

ETA Thought I'd mention since this thread is about Gold/6 that my comments also apply to optionals Levels and xcel, not just 4 & 5.

In Levels 1-3 a gymnast can lose up to .9 for their run and body position as they hit the board. In 4 & 5 the run isn't judged technically, however a gymnast can lose up to .3 for insufficient dynamics which would include things like a slow run, a lack of acceleration, a stutter step at the board, lack of block off the table, even height and distance play a role even though there are separate deductions for those.

As an aside, dynamics also comes into play on bars, beam and floor but it's up to .2 for those.

ETA Thought I'd mention since this thread is about Gold/6 that my comments also apply to optionals Levels and xcel, not just 4 & 5.
Thanks for the explanation! That makes sense.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back