DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JBS

ChalkBucket Founder
Staff member
Gold Membership
Coach
Proud Parent
This is premiering on June 27th. Let us know what you think of it.

Has anyone taken the time to watch any of these yet? Are they good?

I watched the first one on Peacock. It was pretty good, I'll probably get around to watching more. I'll just say I wish it had followed more of the girls who ended up actually going to the Olympics, but there were some.

I’ve watched the first 3 episodes twice, lol. Full disclosure, I was trying to sneak peeks of Josc in the background the first time, but I have to say, when I actually paid attention to the content, I enjoyed it even more.

My daughter and I found it both overly dramatic and also depressing and decided not to finish watching it. Be forewarned they show some scary injuries.

My daughter and I found it both overly dramatic and also depressing and decided not to finish watching it. Be forewarned they show some scary injuries.

I watched the first one last night. I’ll keep watching them because I love gymnastics and the gymnasts, but I’m not going to let my 8yo watch them yet. I think she’s too young to sort through it and it may bring her down.

I was just going to say that I would not let any current gymnast watch episode 2. There is some very scary footage of several accidents. I get what they were going for —that this sport is super dangerous and highly athletic (not just pretty girls in leotards) …but I know a lot of gymnasts that would not want to see it. Hearing about it and knowing it is different than watching it. It wouldn’t bother all kids, but I wouldn’t take the chance. My college gymnast is choosing to not watch that episode for now

Same all around- I'm watching mostly to see how the parents are quite frankly, the girls are all going through the most pressure-filled times of their lives- its kind of almost clingy to see them being interviewed. Some are clearly uncomfortable, others seem to like the conversation. I do love all the behind the scenes stuff, the Nat Team Camp, the interactions with their coaches, etc. Does anyone know if we will see the behind the scenes change of gyms decision with Konnor- if her and her parents and her former coach get interviewed on it? I was not sure how far the timeline went out and if they filmed thru the trials considering only Suni and Myk went to trials- those post- champs interviews will be agonizing.

I am really enjoying it. I do find it interesting some of the comments regarding not letting their gymnasts watch it. I guess I fall under the opinion that its better to present the unvarnished truth, have a conversation about it and educate yourself and your little (of course this is only my opinion and respect others who feel otherwise). I do think you need to have an open mind. Meaning, on one hand realize there is some drama for entertainment but on the other, there are valid and real topics, emotions, and struggles. Like, be able to sort through all of it. Hiding this stuff from my gymnast is not going to help her especially if she wants to pursue this path of elite gymnastics. Some comments/observations:
  1. Really humanizes many of these girls especially Mykala for me, as someone late to the Mykala is a horrible person narrative since it was after 2016 that I really started paying attention. Parents losing their house, jobs, etc.
  2. I don't think Konnors parents come off too well in this. Definitely give the vibe of this is our ticket. To be fair, they also seem to be ones most interviewed besides Laurie's parents.
  3. Regardless where you fall on the "over-dramatization" of the show, it is obvious that girls on this path are and will be challenged when confronted with "what comes next". Morgan in her interviews sounds like someone that is really struggling to figure out life after gymnastics. It seems like she definitely feels/realizes that while she may not be completely done, the reality of it ending is hitting her. I am skeptical that she will make it to UF

Konnor's situation seems the most concerning. In episode 4 she seems to be dealing with severe anxiety. I am not judging her parents on episode 5 because I don't think there is enough shown to make any judgements. I hope her move to WOGA works out for her. I hope she can see a sports therapist to help her manage the stress of competing and find some coping mechanisms. I think it's odd that the family moved so suddenly. I think it's likely that an elite gymnast would need a coaching change and a new gym to get them to the next level. It worked well for Jordan Chiles. So, I hope it all works out for her.

The one thing that I thought that has stood out with all of these girls is how much pressure they put on themselves because they do not want to disappoint everyone around them. I found this part to be sad because they are already successful by reaching the level that they are at but the way they talk it seems like if they make mistakes in a meet they are not only disappointed in themselves but they compound it by thinking everyone else is disappointed too. I don't think Laurie talks about this because she is older and in a different place. It's her second Olympics, she is an underdog and through maturity she realizes that she is doing this for herself.

I am really enjoying it. I do find it interesting some of the comments regarding not letting their gymnasts watch it. I guess I fall under the opinion that its better to present the unvarnished truth, have a conversation about it and educate yourself and your little (of course this is only my opinion and respect others who feel otherwise). I do think you need to have an open mind. Meaning, on one hand realize there is some drama for entertainment but on the other, there are valid and real topics, emotions, and struggles. Like, be able to sort through all of it. Hiding this stuff from my gymnast is not going to help her especially if she wants to pursue this path of elite gymnastics. Some comments/observations:
  1. Really humanizes many of these girls especially Mykala for me, as someone late to the Mykala is a horrible person narrative since it was after 2016 that I really started paying attention. Parents losing their house, jobs, etc.
  2. I don't think Konnors parents come off too well in this. Definitely give the vibe of this is our ticket. To be fair, they also seem to be ones most interviewed besides Laurie's parents.
  3. Regardless where you fall on the "over-dramatization" of the show, it is obvious that girls on this path are and will be challenged when confronted with "what comes next". Morgan in her interviews sounds like someone that is really struggling to figure out life after gymnastics. It seems like she definitely feels/realizes that while she may not be completely done, the reality of it ending is hitting her. I am skeptical that she will make it to UF
I don't know about anyone else's comments about not letting current gymnasts watch the series....but My comment is specific to episode 2 only. And it is simply because of the footage of horrific falls. Not that I don't get why they aired them (to show just how dangerous this sport is)....
I just know my kid would not want to see the footage. Knowing It and Watching It happen are 2 very different things. Could be a trigger for a lot of gymnasts for fears. The rest of the series i have absolutely no reservations about letting any gymnast watch

Konnor's situation seems the most concerning. In episode 4 she seems to be dealing with severe anxiety. I am not judging her parents on episode 5 because I don't think there is enough shown to make any judgements. I hope her move to WOGA works out for her. I hope she can see a sports therapist to help her manage the stress of competing and find some coping mechanisms. I think it's odd that the family moved so suddenly. I think it's likely that an elite gymnast would need a coaching change and a new gym to get them to the next level. It worked well for Jordan Chiles. So, I hope it all works out for her.

The one thing that I thought that has stood out with all of these girls is how much pressure they put on themselves because they do not want to disappoint everyone around them. I found this part to be sad because they are already successful by reaching the level that they are at but the way they talk it seems like if they make mistakes in a meet they are not only disappointed in themselves but they compound it by thinking everyone else is disappointed too. I don't think Laurie talks about this because she is older and in a different place. It's her second Olympics, she is an underdog and through maturity she realizes that she is doing this for herself.
I agree with that, and I see it in my own daughter. Despite constant assurances we are happy with whatever outcome and whatever makes her happy. The pressure to not let anyone down is crazy. Not sure there is any answer to that.

I find the scene with Konnor popping pain killers like smarties and going like "This is what you do every competition week" quite concerning. To me that's crazy. (Common in many sports but it is exactly this behavior that leads to all the overuse injuries and further down the road sometimes to organ damage and this girl is only 15 years old when they filmed that - in other sports athletes are at least much older when making such decisions).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back