Parents Good mat for home use?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter started classes 5 months ago and will not stop doing cartwheels, walkovers, etc. at home (she won’t stop casting on any hard horizontal surface either, but that’s for another post ) . So, if she’s going to do them, I’m going to make sure she’s going to be safe while doing them. That said, what is a good 4x8 mat for home use? Should I order from a specialty mat company? Are there any on Amazon that are recommended? I was looking at one that had great reviews, but in those reviews people noted that it was great for fitness because it wasn’t sticky like gymnastics mats. I have no idea what I’m doing, so I appreciate any help you can give. Thank you!

There are many options. Resilite is among the best but very expensive. Tumbl trak hits the quality/price ratio for me, but they’re not cheap either.

My daughter started classes 5 months ago and will not stop doing cartwheels, walkovers, etc. at home (she won’t stop casting on any hard horizontal surface either, but that’s for another post ) .
Walkovers put a lot on pressure on the back and should not be practiced at home on a regular basis. Anything with impact (roundoff, BHS) should be avoided as well.

Walkovers put a lot on pressure on the back and should not be practiced at home on a regular basis. Anything with impact (roundoff, BHS) should be avoided as well.
I agree with this!!

My kiddo could not practice RO-BHS at home until recently(it was just determined that she will do L4 & L6 this year, about the same time she could do these at home)& its is VERY limited, most times they say to cartwheel or walk her tumbling passes when practicing routines at home(or add the tumbling pass x1 and x4-9x run it with no tumbling pass)

Her coach got SO upset with her for doing a back-tuck at a sleepover last week(like REALLY REALLY upset-and her coaches never get upset with her).

During the conversation with her coach, I found out she is not supposed to be doing RO-multiple BHS at home either(she has been doing this for months with up to 4BHS, I didn't know better).

Seriously, your daughter could get hurt, even become paralyzed doing some of these skills at home. I know my kids coaches tend to be super extra cautious with my kid(like beyond whats normal), however the same rules need to apply to ALL kids for safety sake!! It's not good for them long term, it puts them at risk for serious injuries short term!!

That said, there is nothing wrong with buying a panel mat for use at home! We have 2, one is a custom from a mat company, the other is a tumble trak. They're great for practicing jumps and routines and stretching.

P.S. when my kid was still trying to tumble at home, I talked to her coaches about increasing her hours. I highly recommend that!!

I know for our gym, the rule was that you could only do skills at home that you could do on beam. As I coach, I really like that as a guideline. If you do a backhandspring on beam, you've probably been doing them for quite a long time. I'm sure people broke that rule, but I do appreciate the idea. That being said, I may or may not have been the kid doing flyaways off her pull up bar in the living room...

That said, what is a good 4x8 mat for home use? Should I order from a specialty mat company?

Help ChalkBucket out and order from DGS! Here is a link...

Help ChalkBucket out and order from DGS! Here is a link...

Can that link be used to order anything?

While I am not in the market for panel mats, however we are ordering some things for Christmas...I would like someone to get credit(our gym doesn't participate in such things, unfortunately)

Thank you all for your responses. Her coaches didn’t discourage it when I mentioned getting one, but I am second-guessing my decision to get her a mat.

We have concrete floors and my 6-year-old daughter jumps off everything. She doesnʻt know how to do much tumbling yet, but she loves to jump off everything!! I got her a panel mat and an air track. Her gym is not very competitive and I honestly correct her shapes way more than her high school student coaches do. Iʻve learned that I canʻt contain her energy, and there is no option to add more classes, longer classes, or more competitive classes, so I just try to make it as safe as possible and give her as much safety pointers as I can. This is the air track we got. It was partly for her, but as Iʻve gotten older, my knees have gotten sore, so I use it for things like burpees and jumping exercises. They are pretty fun to work out on. https://airtracknordicus.com/?gclid...uJsm-IwKdZJVXrtfvgRZ8I9DqAa1EEM0aAn-PEALw_wcB

Tumbl Trak has high quality mats and equipment that will last a long time. I have
There are many options. Resilite is among the best but very expensive. Tumbl trak hits the quality/price ratio for me, but they’re not cheap either.
Agreed, tumbl trak is awesome. my daughter has the jr. bar pro bundle. It’s nice that they offer bundles where you can save a little bit of money.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back