Good sports bra?!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So I bought a new leotard. It's pretty, I love it, it's comfortable to wear... but it's round-necked with a slightly scooped back. So I need to change my undergarments.

I'm not huge - around a D cup - but I do like what I've got to stay where I put it! I normally wear the sports bras that look like crop-tops, and they work brilliantly because they're elastic material so they basically flatten your bosom against your ribcage, but they all seem to have a racer back. I can't find a sports bra with straps that works as well.

Any recommendations? My lovely new leo is stuck in a drawer for now, until I can work out what scaffolding to put under it! :p

Hi
We are in the UK too - my dd has same issue
When she needs to be flattened in a scoop neck style she has a normal bra with a white gymnastics crop top two sizes too small that she puts on over it. Finding one without a pattern was hard - because the competition leotard is mainly white, but for a while it was a case of a white one with only a bit of blue turned inside out under the leo :eek: then we found a milano velour one at the milano sale that has been a godsend!!
It works! - although if you want a proper one, we did see some suitable sports bras in JJB sport but they were mega mega expensive. (cant remember the name -but the really good one only started at a d cup so it sounds like it would be okay for you, whereas she didnt feel secure unless it was a bit on the small side to give the flattened down effect!)

It works! - although if you want a proper one, we did see some suitable sports bras in JJB sport but they were mega mega expensive. (cant remember the name -but the really good one only started at a d cup so it sounds like it would be okay for you, whereas she didnt feel secure unless it was a bit on the small side to give the flattened down effect!)

Was it Shock Absorber, by any chance? I've seen those in JJB and they look pretty good, but they're so expensive I don't want to get one unless I'm sure it'll work. I'll look out for crop-tops, thanks.

Dunno - lol, I try...!

I know nothing about what is avalible in England or what you can order but lots of gymnastics clothing websites offer bras, I know GK does and lots of people seem happy with them. I get mine from Wal-Mart, they are cami straps and not racer back.

I got mine at Victoria Secret(pretty sure they have that store over there haha). They won't move at all if you get a small/medium and it still fits comfortably :) I don't think it has a specific brand name but it's one of the only ones they have.

It was the shock absorber - it was recommended by a friend who is an aerobic instructor, so i guess it probably does work!
However, if you want the squish factor like my dd, then maybe the c cup in that would be better even though normally you are a d?

I looked on A star website and although they dont have any plain crop tops on at the moment dd did have a cotton lycra one from there and it was very good because it had quite a wide band of 'elastic' or whatever at the bottom, so it didnt ride up, and she normally would wear a 34 leotard, but got the crop top in a 32 and it worked really well with a bra underneath as well. They are really helpful if you ring them they would make you a plain one in whatever colour - i have had stuff made in the past not in the catalogue - and it was the same price as normal catalogue stuff, they didnt add any premium to make a one off (their size system as you prob know is different but if you ask for a milano 34 fit they know what you mean!)

Thanks all! I looked at the GK bras and thought they looked too flimsy to offer much support, but if other people have had success with them they must be a bit more substantial than they look.

Tonight I wore a hideously ugly old 32B Marks&Spencer sports bra I found at the back of my wardrobe, and although that was quite comfortable and squished things down pretty well the underwire showed through the leotard. Also the material was really thin, and without going into too much detail I was a bit worried what else would show through!

We don't actually have Victoria's Secret here, yet! They're opening a store in London soon, though. We have La Senza, which I think is pretty much the same thing, so I'll have a look there. Right now I think the crop-top option is looking the most promising.

I'm only an A but I gave up on trying to hide the straps for practice. I've been doing it for a year and no one has complained. I just try to wear decent clean bras the same color as my leo. :p And underwire is always gonna show, even for velvet leos... xD

Last edited:
If your leotard is just for practice just wear your normal bra, it's not like anyone cares, you'll be comfortable, IT's PRACTICE! Just saying...

If your leotard is just for practice just wear your normal bra, it's not like anyone cares, you'll be comfortable, IT's PRACTICE! Just saying...

I get what you're saying, but frankly I wouldn't be comfortable at all - I'd feel ridiculous. If it was just the straps peeking out, I wouldn't mind so much, but when half the back of the bra and about an inch at the front are visible, I feel like there's no point in even wearing a leotard - I might as well just go in my bra and trousers!
I know my sports bra is so huge it's effectively a top in its own right (heck, it could probably stop a runaway train at 10 paces), but I do still consider it as underwear and I don't feel happy having that much of my support system on show. A lady's gotta have some secrets. :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back