WAG Good summer camps?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
Mind you, this is not for this year, as it would be way too late to get into one anyway, and my daughter is too young. But she is interested in going to one next year. And I am as green as a Granny Smith apple in terms of camp knowledge.
So hit me with it. We are in the USA. Give me the great, the decent, and the ugly avoid at all costs it is not a camp but glorified summer camp that includes gymnastics a bit. My kid and I are both planners and would appreciate this knowledge for the future. Thank you.

My kids have enjoyed flip fest and started going at 7 and 8 yo respectively. (I wish I could go)
well run, great clinicians, awesome facility, top notch!

Our gym has a day camp each summer with a decent amount of gymnastics. My oldest learned her front hip circle this year. We are also trying a college camp which seems to have a good amount also. Both have other activities as well, but most of the time is gymnastics.

Is your child in a team program? If so, check with her coaches. Some coaches are selective about the camps that they allow their athletes to attend and some outright ban the traditional gymnastics camps like Woodward, IGC, Flip fest, etc. Most allow the college camps, but your daughter doesn't seem to be the right age for those Just yet.

Good idea, thank you. Yes she is on team. But we have no idea what camps are even out there. Why would they ban one? Just curious. I find all this very interesting...

If she is in a program with particular ideas about which skills are taught, the pace they are taugh at, and a strong emphasis on form, you at find that the coaches don't like camps.

The focus in camp is on teaching skills and getting kids excited so that they come back the following year. Sometimes the form suffers a bit because of it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back