WAG Grade 6 bar routine

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym_novice

Proud Parent
Hi, my daughter is working towards grade 6, the only thing that is worrying her is that she cannot get her upward circle in her bar routine. I know nothing about gymnastics, but my question is, can she pass a grade if she cannot get her upward circle?

@Gym_novice Let us know what country you are in so some of our members that are familiar can answer your question.

Hi, I'm in the UK, the short answer is yes she can pass her grade but it will depend on whether her club will enter her if she can't do the circle up.

How long does she have until the competition? Have you got a chin up bar for her to work her chin ups and leg lifts at home?

If she competes without having the upwards circle at all then she will lose 2 marks for non-attempt of the skill, plus the value of the move 0.5, plus execution deductions. If she makes an attempt and just doesn't quite make it then she would lose the value of the move 0.5 and execution deductions. Even if she is judged not to have made an attempt she can still pass her grade as long as her other pieces are tidy.

Yes it is possible to pass if she makes a good attempt. However not all clubs would allow this as grade 6 is the first and very basic grade.

Get a door chin up bar and do them 3 times a day until she gets them. Make a chart. It really is just strength and repetition. Do 5 chin ups, 5 leg lifts, 5 chin up leg lift overs. Repeat 3 times. With decreasing support until she gets it. You will be surprised how quickly she gains enough strength. She should get it within 2 weeks or very close. Adrenaline on the day will also help get her over.

Reactions: rd7
Hi, I'm in the UK, the short answer is yes she can pass her grade but it will depend on whether her club will enter her if she can't do the circle up.

How long does she have until the competition? Have you got a chin up bar for her to work her chin ups and leg lifts at home?

If she competes without having the upwards circle at all then she will lose 2 marks for non-attempt of the skill, plus the value of the move 0.5, plus execution deductions. If she makes an attempt and just doesn't quite make it then she would lose the value of the move 0.5 and execution deductions. Even if she is judged not to have made an attempt she can still pass her grade as long as her other pieces are tidy.
Thank you so much for this information! She is so very close but just can’t quite make it. We will continue to practice, pre-grades are in 2 weeks and grades 2 weeks after. We now have a chin up bar so will continue to practice. Thank you for explaining the scoring/deductions. I’m assuming that the marks will start from 10 on each apparatus then get added up as a final score at the end?

Yes it is possible to pass if she makes a good attempt. However not all clubs would allow this as grade 6 is the first and very basic grade.

Get a door chin up bar and do them 3 times a day until she gets them. Make a chart. It really is just strength and repetition. Do 5 chin ups, 5 leg lifts, 5 chin up leg lift overs. Repeat 3 times. With decreasing support until she gets it. You will be surprised how quickly she gains enough strength. She should get it within 2 weeks or very close. Adrenaline on the day will also help get her over.

Thank you so much for this information! She is so very close but just can’t quite make it. We will continue to practice, pre-grades are in 2 weeks and grades 2 weeks after. We now have a chin up bar so will continue to practice. Thank you for explaining the scoring/deductions. I’m assuming that the marks will start from 10 on each apparatus then get added up as a final score at the end?

Thank you so much for this info Jenny. We now have a chin up bar and will continue to practice. She is so close! Am I correct in thinking that each apparatus will start from 10 and after deductions they will add up all points scores in order to pass?

As far as I understand for grades there 2 elements to the score. They start with 10 for the execution score and then for most of the grade 6 routines there are 8 elements each worth 0.5 each. So potentially out of 14.
I think there’s 0.5 for doing the circle up but also 0.5 for circling back down over the bar, so although she could still pass she’ll get deductions for the missing elements.
Agree with the advice on chin ups and leg lifts and hopefully she’ll get it in time. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back