Grades

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Does it really make a difference in the scheme of things?

When go get stressed over these things, ask yourself if it'll ruin her chance at the olympics. If the answer is no, is it really worth the time and energy?

Grades, IMO, are for reinforcing the basics. DD will do grades this year, but only because working the range, and bars, will vastly help her flexibility and strength, and she'll have to focus on form and the little things like knees. I don't really see it as a competition, but as a step to being a better gymnast. If they don't pass, they have much more work to do on basic form before learning any new skills.

Many clubs round here don't even bother with grades.

I would have said it doesn't matter, but in truth is does. It isn't the grade that matters, it is the progression - knowing my daughter is progressing for the hours she trains, knowing she is happy - she is to a certain extent but she wants more hours but that is a good thing as it will never happen in the group she is in and they is next to zero chance of her doing club grades so wanting more is a good sign she loves gymnastics.

I know I am expecting two much but my daughter hasn't made much progress in tumbling and floor stuff, they don't train front hand springs or front walkovers, on train back walkers for beam, rarely do backhand spring work, this is something that my daughter would love to be able to do, she has been in development for just over two years. I understand it is all about getting the basics right and I support that as it is not good having higher skills if they are ugly. Is handspring work taught in gyms anymore or is just left to higher level gymnasts?

I guess in my ramblings the question,I was really asking is what happens if you cannot enter grades for whatever reason (sick/holiday), do you stick on the same grade or work towards a higher one.

Generally speaking at our club I would imagine: Regional grades girls would probably do the next grade the next year, National Girls would probably do the next grade the next year, in age compulsory girls wouldn't miss grades - certainly not from level 3 anyway.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back