WAG Graduating from the strap bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mimi

Proud Parent
I'm curious...what are the markers that coaches are usually looking for to "graduate" so to speak, from the strap bar to the "real bar". DD is currently been working clear hip to handstand into giants on strap bar. I believe her coach progresses from strap bar to pit bar to real bars. I'm just curious, how do coaches determine the readiness to move from strap bar to the real thing? Is it hard for the gymnast to adjust to the regular bars with the hand shifting, etc.?

Proper technique....especially on the "downswing" phase. All the other components you mentioned are important as well, but graduating safely requires a smooth swing through the loading part of the skill so the kids are less likely to peel off. :eek:

it's whatever markers your coaches are looking for. you should ask them. some of us have never used a strap bar for learning these kinds of basics. and yes, the "shift" of the grip will be awkwardly different when that time comes.

i also want to point out that not peeling from the bar usually has to do with other metrics like grip strength and shoulder girdle strength. yes, they can have inexact timing which will cause them to peel. but usually and consistently they don't from a real bar because they have the strength to overcome a mistake.

Thanks for the responses. I'm fascinated by the analytical side of gymnastics. It's one of the reasons I like reading the posts on CB from coaches, judges, etc. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back