Parents Granny Smith's dd update....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Granny Smith

Proud Parent
Well, I haven't posted too much about what is going on with dd, so I thought today would be the day! :D

Well, last night I saw with my own eyes dd doing her shootovers on bars, scary crap - but she did them all by herself. The coach would stand in between the bars, but didn't touch her. I was very excited for her as I was nibbling my fingernails like a typewriter (yes, I'm getting old)!!! She told me the other day that she is scared when she does them because she is afraid she is going to hurt herself. I think it is just a confidence issue and the more she does them the more that fear will go away! I do understand her fear though, it is very valid, but I do believe in her and she will overcome this in time.

She is getting more consistent with her BHS-BT on beam and got a new routine a few weeks ago. On floor, she got a new floor routine at the end of summer, which I absolutely love, love, love!!! She's been working on polishing up her tumbling passes and getting her back 1.5 on floor. She is also working her front full on tumble trak. Vault, well vault is vault - we take what we can get! ;) She's going to compete her Yurchenko Pike. If we can score high 8's, I'm a happy Mom!!! :p

As for what level she is doing, well we are in the land of in between levels. I think we are going to start out competing 8 and once she gets her shootover, HC will have officially declared her outgrown of 8 and she will then go to 9. I guess we are in wait and see mode. Her first meet is the weekend of 11/21-11/22, which I would be almost 100% sure she will compete 8 and I think she will at the December meet too, but who knows about January and on. The good thing is dd will move up when dd is ready to move up. No one is holding her back but herself and that's the way I like it!

5 weekends until dd's first meet - YIKES!!! If she is doing 8, like I believe here's me :D - if she is doing 9, doubtful but who knows, here's me :eek: !!!!!!!!!! Video camera still works and I'll be manning my position!!!

Last edited:
Sounds like she's doing great! I think she'll grow to love shootovers. Beth's been doing them for a few months and now says they're "fun."
You guys start your meet season early! Our intrasquad isn't until Dec 31, with "real" meets starting in January (although they did sanction our intrasquad, so girls could move up a level, if they get a good score--or qualify to State at that meet).

Yeah they do start early, but I like it. It gives them a chance to get their feet wet! Our really season doesn't get started until January like everyone else. And I think you are right, she will come to like the shootover the more she does them. I think once she is over the fear that she is not going to kill herself is when she will really start to enjoy them. She did say that she was feeling better about doing them after last night. She has been doing them for a short period of time, just last night was the first night I've seen her do them.

Sounds like an exciting season ahead! Those are some huge skills! Congrats to your DD for her hard work paying off!

Sounds like she is progressing nicely can't wait to see her videos !If my dd ever gets to opt. level I do not know if I could handle watching !

Wow, she is doing great! What these girls can do truly amazes me! They are all so awesome! Congrats and good luck on upcoming meets! Can't wait to hear how she does. Hang in there mom! I give you cudos for having any nails left at all!:D I can't hardly watch the BWO on beam! I'll never make it when dd gets to more difficult skills!

Thanks for the update, sounds like she'll have some spectacular routines this year. Hope you can stand the stress of watching.

The good thing is the build up on the skills is so gradual, it really isn't that bad to watch because you do see the progression.

I stayed yesterday to see bars because I figured if she did get hurt, I would already be there (ssshhhh, don't tell dd!!!) Also, another one of my big fears is I'm almost done paying for braces (she's had them for almost 2 yrs (Feb)), I really hope she doesn't take one to the mouth on the shootover!!!! I know, shoot me, I'm a horrible mother....

Just keeping it real (ha-ha), after seeing yesterday I'm pretty sure the mouth is good, now the arms and the rest of her body - who knows, I'm just going to hope for the best!!!! ;)

Sounds like she is progressing nicely can't wait to see her videos !If my dd ever gets to opt. level I do not know if I could handle watching !

Level 8 will be easy to watch, now 9, well that's a whole new ball game!!! She'll do alright, but it will definitely take the season to get to that point. There is just a big difference now between 8 & 9. :rolleyes:

Thanks for the update, sounds like she'll have some spectacular routines this year. Hope you can stand the stress of watching.

Wow! How scary and exciting at the same time. It is so wonderful that she is in charge of her own destiny with the levels. I hope she gets comfy with all her new skills and will get to do L9 sometime in the optional season! She is working so hard and I am sure she will get there!! Can't wait to hear all about her meets.

As for you, well, since they don't have bars at meets, you will just have to try to find other ways to calm those nerves, LOL. Hang in there!

Sounds like you will have an exciting season ahead! Are shootovers the same as toe-shoots? DD has been training those and "almost" has it. She told me last night that she "never" wants to move to L9 and she is happy being an 8 till it's time for high school (we have a HS team).

Shootover is the same as a "baile," not sure of the spelling. It's where she starts at the high bar facing the low bar, she casts toward the low bar and she does a half turn and catches the low bar (she'll end facing the high bar and will probably do a kip to a squat on or something like that.

That's the great thing about being North in the State, there are so many schools that have gym teams - I think that is awesome. There is only one in the South that I know of and we live about 30 minutes North of there. Oh well, she could try to do it independent, but I'm not sure how that all works.

Did LM do Pumpkin Cup this yr???

I'm scared of shootovers and I don't even know what they are:confused: It just sounds scary. I don't want to shoot over anything...

Do we have to wait until the first meet to see the floor routine or might a practice routine be in our video future??

Sean

Unforunately you'll have to wait, I don't want to post her floor routine until she has competed it, I'm just a little freaky like that. Fortunately though she competes the weekend before Thanksgiving - it will be here before ya know it!!! ;)

I'm scared of shootovers and I don't even know what they are:confused: It just sounds scary. I don't want to shoot over anything...

Do we have to wait until the first meet to see the floor routine or might a practice routine be in our video future??

Sean

Some 8s do it, but a release is not required until 9, but the 1st one would fulfill one of their "B" requirements if needed. There are also 3 types of shootovers that affect the skill level.

A shootover from a cast that doesn't start in HS or finish in HS is a "B" skill.

A shootover from a HS that doesn't finish in a HS is a "C" skill.

A shootover that ends in a HS is a "D" skill.

So, I think in 8 you mostly see the 1st type of shootover. And for this yr with the current skill changes in 8, the 1st type of shootover is the only 1 allowed.

Hopefully that all makes sense....

Iggy, Here is one clip with a shoot-over. YouTube - Allison Comer - pirouette shoot over on bars Neat stuff. Usually a L8 skill I think.

Our coach isn't allowing any of our 8s to compete a shootever this year--last year at Regionals one of our gymnasts supposedly went to handstand in her shootover and got her routine knocked down 2 points, so he's not risking that happening at all. Beth practices them for level 9 next year. (or at least so Beth tells me!)

Sounds like she's going to have a great season. I can't wait for our meet season to start!! It's so exciting when they get those new skills. I will probably have a head of gray hair if my dd makes it to level 8!! ;) I'm glad you were able to finally see her doing such a difficult skill, and doing it so well!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back