Greetings from Pittsburgh

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

B

breadman

Hey everybody I just thought I'd introduce myself and let you know of my situation. This may sound a little crazy or different from the typical user here. I am a 21 year old male in Pittsburgh and I've never taken a gymnastics class before in my life. Gymnastics is something I've wanted to do ever since I was a kid but my parents always had me do Baseball and Soccer instead. Well now it has come to the point where I have finally decided to try to find a way to do what I've always wanted to do.

My interests over the past few years have changed a bit and I think my ultimate goal now is to get a good base in gymnastics and then learn breakdancing (which I know isn't really what this site is about). I think the physical discipline and acrobatics involved in gymnastics will carry over nicely coupled with the bit of experience I have with hip hop dance.

In any case, my first and foremost interest is learning gymnastics. I am attempting to find some sort of gymnastics class for adults or personal coaching for someone of my age and level (that is, very beginners level) in Pittsburgh but so far I have come up short. I am not expecting any of this to be easy; finding lessons somewhere will be hard enough and actually learning it will be extremely tough and probably embarrassing at first, but I am up to the challenge.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks for reading this long post and even if you can't help me I appreciate your interest nonetheless.

I am fairly new here as well.

I would be curious about what you find out concerning starting gymnastics at this age. I think you will have a hard time finding a gym that holds adult classes (particularly rec classes) due to insurance reasons. Many don't even allow adults to be on the tramp for that reason.

Nonetheless, if luck isn't on your side, you may want to take up martial arts. There are many forms and styles of martial arts that resemble gymnastics skills. Of course, the elements and teaching will be different but it may come the closes to what you want to do. The health benefits will be pretty much the same.

I love the username, though it makes me hungry! You'll will find lots of adult gymnasts here, some who have been gymnasts as kids and some who have begun as adults. The one thing that unites them all, and the rest of us here, is that we love gymnastics.

Welcome to the Chalkbucket!

Thanks for the support. I am very much aware that this will be hard to start up for many reasons but again I am going to try my best. Since chances are that I won't be able to find adult classes that are offered here (not ruling it out though), would anyone happen to have a suggestion for which martial arts discipline to take up that would be the most acrobatic and closest to what I am looking for?

Hey! Welcome to the Chalk Bucket! I'm Kayleigh. I'm from Pittsburgh too! Good luck in finding a gym... it's hard. I know a LOT of the gyms around here from competitions... you can message me if you'd like and maybe I could offer some suggestions? :)

Sorry but I'm gonna bump this thread again because I still haven't found a place yet. All I'm really looking to do is find a tumbling class for beginner adults. I'm currently taking a breakdance class but I'd like to supplement that with a class that teaches flips, handsprings and whatnot. If anyone has any help to offer I would really appreciate it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back