WAG Grip sizing advise (could not find answer in old threads)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey everyone,

I've read a lot here the past year, but now I'm kind of stuck with something and I was hoping I could post here for help.
I looked at past posts on the topic, but I've not really been able to figure it all out. I have a question about grip sizes. My current grips are too large (size 2 reisport), so I want to get smaller ones. The issue is, it's a lot of money, so I want to make sure to get the size right. I've bought a size 1 and a size 0 reisport grip to fit, but I am unsure which would be right. I am not sure I could ask a coach about the fit (though my main coach does support me getting grips, I don't think she can help with sizing.) I saw some old posts of people who showed photos wearing grips who got advise, and I was wondering if I could do the same.

I am going to try and post this, and figure out how to post photos, but I don't know how much of this works, I usually don't post stuff anywhere,

PS. things work very differently in my country than most of what I read on this forum, e.g. we don't have levels 1-10 here.

I've added images of grips in this reply

Attachments

• img 3 grip size 1.jpeg
    img 3 grip size 1.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 35
  • img 1 grip size 0.jpeg
    img 1 grip size 0.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 25
  • img 4 grip size 0.jpeg
    img 4 grip size 0.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 26
  • img 2 grip size 0.jpeg
    img 2 grip size 0.jpeg
    70.5 KB · Views: 25
  • img 5 grip size 0.jpeg
    img 5 grip size 0.jpeg
    84 KB · Views: 22
  • img 3 grip size 0.jpeg
    img 3 grip size 0.jpeg
    73 KB · Views: 27
  • img 1 grip size 1.jpeg
    img 1 grip size 1.jpeg
    74.3 KB · Views: 25
  • img 2 grip size 1.jpeg
    img 2 grip size 1.jpeg
    68.1 KB · Views: 27
What should you get according to the risport sizing chart ? Are you in between size 0 and size 1 ?
According to the size chart I don't get 0, I get 1 or even 2 (but 2 is definitely too big). But the woman in the shop recommended 0, while somebody at the gym said 1, so I wasn't sure what to get now. So I got both 1 and 2 to try and fit. I want to return one though, so I can't try them out on the actual bars.

Unfortunately, this is so individual. My dd likes the grips to be small, where she cannot straighten her palm. Most, though like them to be a little larger. How big were the 2s for you? What didn't you like about them? If you felt they were just a little too big, then I would go with the 1s

Unfortunately, this is so individual. My dd likes the grips to be small, where she cannot straighten her palm. Most, though like them to be a little larger. How big were the 2s for you? What didn't you like about them? If you felt they were just a little too big, then I would go with the 1s
Im not sure how much too big the 2s feel, but quite a bit too big at least. I felt like the dowel ended up past my fingers when doing tap swings, while others have the dowel under their finger tipe. Thie is also the first time having grips for me, so I don't exactly know how it should feel. The 0s are really too small according to the sizing table so im hesitant to pick them, but the 1s im worried will stretch and quickly also feel too big.

is there anyone in the gym who wears the same grips? If they are 1s or 0s maybe you could try them on? Beyond that, I would be tempted to go with the 1s. I know that these stretch but I don't think the 0s will stretch enough for you.

Im not sure how much too big the 2s feel, but quite a bit too big at least. I felt like the dowel ended up past my fingers when doing tap swings, while others have the dowel under their finger tipe.
Well, the dowell being a bit past your fingertips isn't totally abnormal. The whole point of grips is to increase the surface in contact with the bar. Here is the picture of my grips (my bar is a tube of food wrapper :D). They are a bit old so they probably were smaller at the beginning. I can extend my hand to 180° while wearing them but just barely / with some resistance from the grips.
I also would say size 0s would be too small for sure. The size 1s also look too small to me tbh, but they will stretch
DSC02091.JPG
DSC02092.JPG

is there anyone in the gym who wears the same grips? If they are 1s or 0s maybe you could try them on? Beyond that, I would be tempted to go with the 1s. I know that these stretch but I don't think the 0s will stretch enough for you.
I may be able to find somebody with these grips in one of the groups, though that may be a bit short notice for returning the grips i dont want to keep. In the main group i am the only one with grips (i am doing kips and toe shoots, most other girls are more at the point of pullovers and hip circles so they dont need grips yet.) I am also tempted to choose the size 1, because of the sizing chart. It sais 15.5-16.5 cm is size 1, and i get 16.5 when i measure. I got a 0 to try as well because the 2 felt really big and the woman in the store recommended 0 based on how far along my hand the leather got, but i do think it looks very small.
Thank you for the help and advise by the way. :)

Well, the dowell being a bit past your fingertips isn't totally abnormal. The whole point of grips is to increase the surface in contact with the bar. Here is the picture of my grips (my bar is a tube of food wrapper :D). They are a bit old so they probably were smaller at the beginning. I can extend my hand to 180° while wearing them but just barely / with some resistance from the grips.
I also would say size 0s would be too small for sure. The size 1s also look too small to me tbh, but they will stretch
View attachment 8373View attachment 8374
Thanks for your reply and advise. When i said the size 2 has the dowel go past my fingers, I mean it goes beyond them. It feels like im not able to push down on it, or barely, because its past my fingertips.
As i just said in another reply, I'm leaning towards keeping the size 1. Of course i will also still have the size 2 grips, i cant return them. It'll be interesting (and probably frustrating) to break them in. (My size 2 grips had already been worn twice before they came into my possession, i believe. Due to covid a lot of people around here were selling nearly unused grips.)

Ps. I apologise if I have a lot of typing or spelling mistakes, chalkbucket is not working well on my phone so I can't really read back or correct what I wrote.

From the photos Size 0 is too small. If you are in between sizes always go smaller, so in that case I would say 1 (although I agree that they also look a bit small to me)

From the photos Size 0 is too small. If you are in between sizes always go smaller, so in that case I would say 1 (although I agree that they also look a bit small to me)
Thanks for the advise. I think I will try size 1. I hope that they will stretch to fit correctly. It makes sense that 1 is a bit too small and 2 a bit too big if im in between those two sizes.
If the 1s dont work I'll still have the size 2 as a backup. Everyone has been telling me the 2 is too big though, so I guess that means i can expect the 1 to stretch to fit.
Also a small question: looking back at previous threads i was under the impression you shouldn't be able to fully stretch your hand when wearing grips. Was that correct? Because with size 1 i can't fully stretch my hands but with my (slightly stretched) 2 i can stretch my hand with a bit of excess leather left

No you shouldn't be able to stretch your hand fully open, they need to fit correctly with your hands curled around the bar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back