grip sizing?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymjourneymom

Proud Parent
Looking at ordering a set of Hot Shot grips for DD. She measures 6.5 in. Size charts say (Size 1) 6-6.5 & (size 2) 6.5-7.25 Which should I order when she's right in the middle?:confused: I've heard it's dangerous for grips to be too big, but don't want them to be too small either.

Looking at ordering a set of Hot Shot grips for DD. She measures 6.5 in. Size charts say (Size 1) 6-6.5 & (size 2) 6.5-7.25 Which should I order when she's right in the middle?:confused: I've heard it's dangerous for grips to be too big, but don't want them to be too small either.

"Too big" would probably be "outside the measurements" - if she's still growing, probably better to go with the size 2. I was using a too small pair, just trying to break them in doing tap swings, nothing hard, and they *still* sucked. (have since gotten bigger ones) How old is she?

If her hands are big enough for a size 2, though, she may not need the narrowness of the Hot Shot ones, she may be able to go into the regular width ones - what does the rest of her team use? (scratch that if she's older/bigger than the rest of her team - if they're all wearing size 0 or 00 Hot Shots, might not be any reason to go along with the rest of the team and instead order the regular width Millennium ones, if your coach wants US Glove brand)

Wait can't you send a photocopy of their hand for one? Am I crazy? Maybe I am.

Is there any way she can just try on (not swinging or anything) someone else's in each size? If the gym doesn't carry them that's your only shot. I'd probably say 2s because she meets that measurement criteria and isn't going to get smaller, but I would try have the coach look at her hands and advise in person.

She's 13yrs old training level 7, tiny for her age(75lbs/ 4'9"). She's never gotten used to dowel grips, but now that's she's working more difficult moves she's ready to try them again. Team mates are all bigger have & have out grown or worn the 1st set of little narrow grips & into "regular" width grips. Since she'll just be getting used to dowel grips...thought narrow would be best for now. Do you think reg. width????

Nah, go with what she thinks will work, my initial inclination would be to go with 2s but maybe she won't use them that long before moving to another pair and 1s will be better. I'd check with her coach.

Kids...don't usually shrink.

On the other hand, if you and her father are both pretty tiny and she's already started to mature, her hands might not grow much more for a while.

I would say if you don't mind her growing out of them quickly, start with the size 1 narrows. Particularly if you know of someone else smaller you can dump them off on if she decides she wants what everyone else has as soon as she's put chalk or water on them and you can't return them. If you don't want to buy another pair of grips in a month or two or whenever she grows before wearing the others out, grab the size 2 regulars. If her hands are big enough to fit into a size 2 anyways...

Measure *your* hands. If you're significantly taller, but your hands aren't much bigger, she might not be just waiting until the second you order grips to grow out of them.

And don't trust the size on a pair that doesn't have the size printed on it, if you're trying someone else's. They could have got them where I got my old pair...ordered a 2, got what I think must be a 0!

Hi,
IMO a 13 yo L7 should not use the hot shot grips. She needs regular grips, whatever brand you prefer. The narrow size wont help her get used to grips any quicker, and if she does get to a higher level she will have to get used to a new brand again.

Definitely talk to your coach.:D

You mentioned her teammates have worn out their first narrow grips - some of them will probably still have them lying around that she could try on.

2 "for sures." Her hands will grow and the grips will stretch some as she wears them. Certainly talk with the coach and maybe also call the manufacturer and see what they suggest. I agree that maybe the hot shots aren't what she really needs at L7. My gymmie who just turned 12 has used a regular width grip since she started with them about 18 mos ago. Many of the grip manufacturers are making softer grips that break in quickly. You not only have to have a decent grip that works for her for giants, but then uptraining on bars.

Hope you can get some good answers quickly!

I know some L10s who are still wearing narrow grips. Whatever works. I don't know a lot of coaches that care about what specific cut of grips (besides the velcro vs buckle issue) as long as the gymnast is using them well. On the other hand I wouldn't assume that because she is starting to use grips she needs Hot Shots.

Thanks everyone for your replies! Had a talk with the DD's coach. We tried a slightly used size 1 on her & he said to go with that for now. But DD couldn't open her hands flat with those grips on...hands stayed in a slightly curled postion, does that sound right? Her team mates told her she should be able to open her hands fully & extend her fingers, but the coach said no...her hands will be curled around the bar. I trust the coach's opinion, as he did see them on her & said they "looked perfect & that she's going to love them". But now I'm thinking...does that mean her teammates are wearing their grips too big????

It's mostly a personal preference thing. Slightly curled hands or flat are fine. With a first pair of grips I would err on the smaller side - it's less leather to deal with when learning to use them. And they'll probably stretch as she uses them. When she's ready for her second pair she'll have a better idea of what she wants in a grip.

Hey i need help. im 13 and L7 .... i have dowel grips that are now too small for me and im gonna get new ones. the brand i have now is what i think an unknown brand. any ideas on a good brand of grips for me?!
THANKS!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back