WAG Grips buckle vs Velcro

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I started out with Velcro but as I was swinging on the bars it would always slide bc I could never get the Velcro tight enough. it would always end up on the side of my wrist instead of in the middle and the Velcro snagged my wristbands so many times

My DD prefers buckles. The Velcro wears out faster. She has found that over time the leather stretches and she just starts using the next set of holes. I'm going to have to punch new ones for her eventually!

I prefer my girls to buy buckle grips as I've seen too many velcro straps come undone in the middle of bar routines. Our girls are allowed to get grips once they have mastered a kip, however, only about 50% probably wear grips. They tend to increase in usage as they rise through the levels, but we have a level 8 that still doesn't wear grips :)

At DD gym the girls start buckle pixie grips at 5, the coach sized them and ordered them for each team girl. They only wear buckles and are not permitted on bars without them. DD doesn't know anything else.

I have Velcro grips and I love them. I keep my really tight and they don't move or come undone. Some of the other girls that have Velcro grips and don't keep them very tight have had them slide around. I think the girls with buckle like theirs but when they first got them they have issues getting it to the right size it is either too tight or too loose. But after a while the leather stretches and they find a spot that works. I'm curious what will happen at the leather stretches more.

i have velcro and they work very nice because they are very easy to adjust. I have never used buckle grips though so i can't really compare which are best but velcro are very adjustable. And i also had the problem where in the middle of a routine my velcro would come off so i began using rubberbands, which hold the velcro down.

OP....I hope you don't mind if I hijack but can someone please explain strap bar grips please?
do you mean gloves/loops? There are two types... either a moving strap bar that you just use wristbands/loops, or a metal bar where you use gloves/loops (I'm 99% sure). It helps with wrist flicking (IMO) and is considered to be safer.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I know that DD says she's practicing giants on the strap bar. I watched her yesterday going around the bar but I'm not sure what she's wearing to stay attached to the bar.

Thank you@agscc401....I wish I had more information.

I'm not 100 percent sure but I know that DD says she's practicing giants on the strap bar. I watched her yesterday going around the bar but I'm not sure what she's wearing to stay attached to the bar.

Thank you@agscc401....I wish I had more information.
In my gym, we have a strap bar that is a small tube around a metal bar. You put your wrist bands on, and then strap yourself into straps, nylon (?) circles. This "hooks" you onto the bar, so you really can't fall off. The strap will help flick your wrists and is a good station for learning new skills. Free hip handstands, giants, tap swings, etc. are commonly taught with a strap bar as a side station.

Thank you @agscc401 I really appreciate the clarification. DD loves working on the strap bar and I had no clue what she even meant when she told me.

The velcro slipping as it gets worn out is one of the reasons my daughter's gym recommend the buckle grips. I'm sure buckle grips have their own form of degradation over time so who knows?
DS had one of the buckles break on a relatively new pair of high bar grips, but his coach did a McGyver with a bobby pin and fixed it. :)

I started off using Velcro but I found I was constantly adjusting and they never felt tight enough, so I tried buckle and I fell it love! I never have to adjust them really, and the always fell tight on my wrists which is what I like!

LOL, just ordered a new pair for my DD (L8) and she likes the buckles. Her first pair was a buckle, but next pair she tried was velcro. I think she thought she was missing out on something becasue it was what some of the other girls had. Didn't like them and the strip actually ripped about halfway thru from the constant pulling on them to re-tighten them so much.

I prefer my girls to buy buckle grips as I've seen too many velcro straps come undone in the middle of bar routines. Our girls are allowed to get grips once they have mastered a kip, however, only about 50% probably wear grips. They tend to increase in usage as they rise through the levels, but we have a level 8 that still doesn't wear grips :)

We have a L8 that just started wearing grips this year. She had trouble getting used to them ... Had tried them the last couple years, but always ended up preferring to go without. This year, she was also on the high school team, so she was putting more hours in and is doing harder skills so she decided it was time, lol.

Do you know what is the reasoning for that?

Yes, our coaches vastly prefer that the gymnasts learn to work the bars first without the aid of grips, to build up strength and endurance. The girls don't get grips until they're swinging a LOT of giants, and some not even then (our smaller gymmies don't use grips at all). there was a short period of adjustment when the girls learned how to do all their skills with the grips. It's a pretty big deal when they finally get their grips..! :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back