WAG Grips-do you really need two pair?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Dad1234

Proud Parent
My daughter got her first pair of grips and she loves them. I’ve heard that you need two pairs but is that really necessary at the lower levels or just the upper levels? She is training xcel gold/platinum skills. She is working on kips, clear hips, and flyaways. She is 8 and has tiny hands and had them custom made so I really don’t want to buy a back up pair if it’s not really necessary.

The 2nd pair, is to have a pair worn in and ready if the first pair breaks. A lot of usage with thin them out.

Ask her coach specifically if they are required to have the 2nd pair. I have never found a lower level gymnast really needed it.

Think about it as buying the next pair early. Having 2 will help if one breaks. Having two won't cause any harm but I doubt it is necessary to have 2 on hand. I never had a grip break personally.

For Level 9/10 it’s a good idea.

We always have grips in stock at the gym so it’s not really a huge deal with us. 99% of the time that grips break… it could have been prevented by monitoring the grips for issues and getting new ones. Most of our athletes only have 1 set of grips… a couple of them have a backup set.

I don't think it's necessary to have a second pair, especially since she just got them and isn't doing "big" skills like giants. However, make sure that you order new ones when these grips start to show signs of wearing out so that you can have them ready when she needs new grips or if her current grips break.

my dd got her first pair in silver and I don't think she got another until L8, so 4 yrs? Once she was learning transitions between bars, then the grips wore out much faster (she never used water on her grips though so they lasted longer).

The night before my daughter’s out of town meet, we were running to the store to purchase a glue gun as the Velcro on her grips was hanging by a thread. Needless to say, mom was not very happy. As others have stated, it is important to monitor the condition of the grips in order to purchase a new pair before the current pair fall apart. Our gym encourages the gymnasts to have a back up pair. My daughter had back up grips, but had never used them so did not want to use them for the first time at a meet.

My daughter had back up grips, but had never used them so did not want to use them for the first time at a meet.

This is another super common thing... they have an extra pair... but have not really used them. If you have two pair... alternate them each practice... have two working pair... not a backup.

This is another super common thing... they have an extra pair... but have not really used them. If you have two pair... alternate them each practice... have two working pair... not a backup.
Good point. Does no good if they stay in the bag/cubby and have never been broken in, especially if you need them at a competition because the current ones broke down. When mine got a new pair she would do simple drills with them to break them in over time. I don't think she ever really went back/forth between the two but when she needed that new pair, they were ready and felt comfortable.

This is a good idea. It's like with dress shoes -- wearing the same pair of leather soled shoes every day wears them out in MUCH fewer wears than if you're alternating two pairs since they never dry out. I assume that grips are the same dynamic.

This is a good idea. It's like with dress shoes -- wearing the same pair of leather soled shoes every day wears them out in MUCH fewer wears than if you're alternating two pairs since they never dry out. I assume that grips are the same dynamic.
I never thought about the shoes aspect but that so true

My DD was required by Optionals to have 2 pair of broken in grips at every meet. There was once a girl had her grips break and she was in the session right after my daughter and used my daughter's grips. They don't fit someone else the same.

My daughter has 2 pairs. One is getting very worn. She just purchased a new pair and she is breaking those in. Never use a brand new pair for the first time at a competition (advice from my kiddo).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back