Parents Grips! for small people

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gym_dad32608

Proud Parent
and wristbands! I have reviewed a few of the grip threads about sweaty hands and the excellent break down of grips, but I was curious if anyone has any brands that they have found better for girls with really tiny hands. My daughter, been using US glove but she is super super tiny. I mean when she shows up at meets most people think she is some 8 yo L10 phenom because that's about how big she is. Anyway, as she continues to add releases and upgraded skills she is peeling off the bar. And the rips! I figured it might be time to try a brand if it was more tiny friendly? She picked up a pair of Ginnasta grips that were hanging around in gym and found the leather was a little slimmer and allowed a little more contact with her hand on the bar. So might try those. Any parents, gymasts, coaches experience?

As far as wristbands, she has been using drybands which she likes a lot, I just think she needs to get into better habit of switching out worn equipment.

I can’t speak to how they hold up doing big skills, but my daughter uses pixie grips that were recommended for her tiny hands and wrists. We also just got the drybands to help the grips feel more comfortable and secure, so I’m glad to hear your daughter likes those!
A couple optional moms at the gym recently reccomended the ginnasta grips to us too! They said they were able to contact the company and have them custom made to size when their girls were really small and that’s still their go to in L9. They also said they break in very quickly.

Ginnasta is our go-to. But my daughter has SUPER small hands and still in size 000. They are a small company and restock at certain times, so you need to check the banner on their website and order on the day they say they will update inventory. But when you do order, the shipping is super quick.

Those are what we use. From experience... if her hands are under 5.5"... she will have some issues with grips no matter the brand.

My daughter wore those from Level 9 through her 3rd year of Level 10. Then she moved up to the US Glove RKO's. She did not wear grips in Level 8 or below (4th grade and below).

I had her wear the ones that came with the wristbands already in them so there would be no extra bulk. The wristbands are many times the issue.

This is the exact grip... not wearing wristbands was the game changer for my daughter...

I would recommend buckle grips pulled somewhat tight if using these. The velcro will slide around more and cause more wrist rips.

If this is what she is already wearing... then I got nothing. Grips are like shoes... find the pair you like the best.

Last edited:
I would recommend buckle grips pulled somewhat tight if using these. The velcro will slide around more and cause more wrist rips.

We did sometimes tape her wrists for protection first. Just regular athletic tape.

I was also her coach... so I managed her hands aggressively (I altered her training based on her hand condition).

We did sometimes tape her wrists for protection first. Just regular athletic tape.

I was also her coach... so I managed her hands aggressively (I altered her training based on her hand condition).
That's exactly what she's wearing. Other than the dry-bands for wrist bands. I may suggest the pre-tape to her. And make sure she buckles tight. Her hands are a mess lol. She usually is dealing with a rip at the base of her palm every week. Unfortunately or fortunately, I am not her coach lol.

Reactions: JBS
Many upper level coaches believe that the hands just need to get used to the pain. There are many upper level (elite) athletes brought up this way.

Josc uses Reisport grips. I think she competed up to L8 without any grips bc of her hand size. We kept her hands soft. Pumice stones and a good moisturizer. She’s only ever had two rips on her hands…..EVER. She rips more on her wrists though.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back