MAG Grips for sweaty hands?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics

CreateMagic

Coach
Proud Parent
Tl;dr: For my own curiosity, has anyone else had a kid need to use grips for sweaty hands? Pros/cons?

I posted this on FB in a men's gymnastics group, but all the answers focused on the sweating or whether they thought it was too early for grips... which isn't my question. So, I'm trying here too. My ADHD has apparently decided to hyperfocus on this question, haha!

Has anyone had a kid start using grips because they were SUPER sweaty? My son seems to have inherited my hyperhidrosis (ugh, sorry kid), and is taking the chalk off the bar even after chalking up. I can only imagine its going to get worse this summer. Obviously this is dangerous for the other boys going after him too. I do have liquid chalk for him (that I need to remember to send) and I recently purchased these: https://wodndone.com/sports/gymnastics/ to hopefully help, but that's going to get expensive working out 3x per week. His coach mentioned that we may need to talk about grips sooner rather than later (I will NOT be doing anything except what coach recommends). But for my own curiosity, has anyone else had a kid need to use grips for that reason? Pros/cons? He's a tiny 7 year old training level 4, nearly has his kip, high bar was his strongest event in level 3, if any of that info matters.

Also, to reiterate. I will only order grips if his coach says to do so. I'm just satisfying my own curiosity if anyone has any experience in getting grips for sweaty hands.

Figured I'd also throw out there that I don't necessarily want to get grips, because adding expenses is not my favorite thing

I had an athlete get grips partially due to this back in the day. In his case... it helped.

Most boys started using grips around the time they were working kips, so it’s the right time. And they need time to adjust and break the grips in, which takes a few weeks. He will also need different grips for rings, which will help with the sweating.

Most boys started using grips around the time they were working kips, so it’s the right time. And they need time to adjust and break the grips in, which takes a few weeks. He will also need different grips for rings, which will help with the sweating.
Thanks the for response and experience!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back