Grips, Grips, Grips!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Omega gym in BC, Canada doesn't have their girls use grips. They have a number of Elites and they seem to do just fine.

The coach usually lets you know when they think it is time.

At our gym the girls can choose whether to wear grips or not. MOst do not, but few reach L7.

Omega gym in BC, Canada doesn't have their girls use grips. They have a number of Elites and they seem to do just fine.

The coach usually lets you know when they think it is time.

At our gym the girls can choose whether to wear grips or not. MOst do not, but few reach L7.

My DD (10yr old) does not use grips and has learnt giants and flyaways no problem without them. She wears strips of muslin looped between her fingers and tied around her wrist. I think its a personal choice, my DD likes to feel the bar and her coach has not suggested grips at all.

My DS (aged 12) has had grips for 3 years though and loves them!

I have also seen elite gymnasts at Olympics wearing muslin and no, I don't believe its because they can't afford grips! In many cases these gymnasts do not need to contribute to their training fees or pay to attend meets etc.

My DD (10yr old) does not use grips and has learnt giants and flyaways no problem without them. She wears strips of muslin looped between her fingers and tied around her wrist. I think its a personal choice, my DD likes to feel the bar and her coach has not suggested grips at all.

I have also seen elite gymnasts at Olympics wearing muslin and no, I don't believe its because they can't afford grips! In many cases these gymnasts do not need to contribute to their training fees or pay to attend meets etc.

My gymmie's gym also prefers the girls not use grips until the release moves because they want the girls to get the feel of the bars and how to manage their grip on the bars. Like your gymmmie mine prefers not to use grips as she is learning flyaways because she feels more control that way. Atleast that is how she feels right now it is still early in the learning. We too have watch the international meets and seen girls with out grips so Liv doesn't feel peer pressured into getting them right now :)

This is obviously a very old thread, but I was doing some searching on grips. Not being able to afford them is exactly the reason in some cases. They don't use them when they are learning and then once they reach a certain level they have already learned the skills without them and aren't going to change at that point in their career. I know because my ex husband coached in one of those countries and the conditions are very poor. His girls never used grips.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back