WAG Grips Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I am 15 years old and on new level 4. I am constantly ripping every practice. I can get through about 2 or 3 full bar routines before I rip, and once I get a rip it will heal up mostly, then rip again, over and over. I used to wear a pair of palm guard grips, but I never really liked them because I couldn't grip the bar as well. Now I am fed up with ripping so much, so I think I need to get another pair of grips.
Should I get another pair of palm guards or a dowel grips? What brands do you recommend? I go to a small gym that only goes up to new level 5 and no one else wears grips, but they don't rip near as much as I do and my coach has said that I need a pair of grips, but never really suggested a brand. I thought about showing my coach these grips and seeing what she thinks, but they almost sound too good to be true because they aren't suppose to take hardly anytime to break in. Has anyone ever tried them?

Ladies Gymnastics Grips Ginnasta USA

I am kind of nervous about breaking in grip and I'm afraid I'll slip of the bar.

Sorry this is such a long post.
Thanks,
GymnastSTB

Ooh! Omg! I just opened my pair of ginnasta double buckle grips a few min ago! So I can't really tell you how good they are but from what I heard they are amazing. I've heard that some girls will never go back to any other brand. They're also my first pair but sadly I will not be able to use them anytime soon because I strained an ab muscle really bad! I won't be able to do anything for 2 weeks.): But anyways I think you should just get a pair of dowel grips. Your going to need them anyways at some point in time so why not get used to them right away? I don't see the point of getting the palm grips if they don't help you. Hope this helped.

I'm 15 too and aiming to be an Xcel Platinum. :) I started off with palm grips for a while too. I didn't mind them but I just wanted something different. So, if you're over the palm grips, I think it's fine for you to get dowel grips!

I got Reisport dowel grips and they work well. Reisport Dowel Grips
I never really did any research on grips, I just bought the ones I found at my local gymnastics store.

However, I have heard great things about the grips you're interested in! So definitely talk to your coach about them! Good luck!

just one question are your doing kips in your routine? if your doing kips I would defiantly recommend dowel grips just because there a lot easier to do. at my gym palm grips are for the lower levels where the kids are just getting used to grips and when the get their kip that's when they move up to dowel grips. if your not doing kips then I would just got with palm grips.

just a second note on what I said. the grips I use are the Reisport Hook & Loop Grips and I find these work really well. these are the grips all the girls in my gym ( well the ones that have grips anyway) and they work really well we've never had any bad stories about them. I do know that for money reason on girl couldn't get a new pair of grips for two years and their just starting wear out. ( I do know that grips aren't supposed to be used for that long and so does she) so I would definitely reccomemend these and their not super pricey. heres the link if you would like to look at them Reisport Hook & Loop Grips - Uneven Bar

just one question are your doing kips in your routine? if your doing kips I would defiantly recommend dowel grips just because there a lot easier to do. at my gym palm grips are for the lower levels where the kids are just getting used to grips and when the get their kip that's when they move up to dowel grips. if your not doing kips then I would just got with palm grips.

I am doing kips in my routine and I already have them by myself.

Also, how easy are the Reisport grips to break in?

Reisports generally take awhile to break in.

At your age, get some dowel grips if your coach will allow you.

Palm grips are only something we generally let L2-4 use.

DD got Ginnasta grips and loves them. She made a kip on her first day using them. The leather is soft and easier to break in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back