grips: need recommendation for wide ones with buckles

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymgal

Gold Membership
Proud Parent
OK, I am just going put the question up first and then give the history for those who want more info.

I am looking for a recommendation on a set of uneven bar grips that is all one width from finger to wrist (no tapering at the palm) and is a single buckle closure. They can't be the 10.0 blues (see below). I found a Baillie that might work but it looks a little tapered. Anyone have these? Also saw Nastia's line but they look like they are for younger girls. DD's length is exactly 6.5 and their highest goes to 6.75 I think. This is so frustrating! any help is appreciated.

History: dd (11) has been in a pair of 10.0 velcro (reisport replica) size 0 for two years. They still fit her (though they won't with one more growth spurt) and the leather is in great condition (no spray bottle) but the velcro is finally starting to wear out. She is going to level 7 this summer so we figured buckle would be the best way to go, swinging all those giants. So... I bought a pair of the reisport double buckle size 1, thinking they would be most like the ones we had. She liked the width but the length was WAY too long for her hand. and she hated the double buckle. She said it's too hard to do.

So we sold those to a friend (never worn) and I just got in the 10.0 blue single buckle in a size 1 (she was on the cusp of the next size but it says to go down a size if that happens), thinking since her old ones were 10.0, these would be fine. Well, they are way too short and dd doesn't like the tapered width on the palm. her velcro ones are all one width from finger to wrist. Argh!!!

now I'm back to square one and don't know where to go. She asked all the girls at the gym. most have the double buckle or velcro. one has the 10.0. None have what she "wants". It's so hard to order these online because of the sizing, feel, etc. We have no stores in the area that sell them either. I am really tempted to just stick with the velcro and replace them more frequently.

any help is appreciated.

I'm not sure that I'm exactly answering your question, but both of my dd's have worn Bailie grips. My older dd preferred the regular width single buckle grips. My youngest dd started in a pair of narrow width velcro Bailie grips. Both kinds lasted a long time. I just replaced youngest dd's grips after over a year and a half. Her coach didn't want any more velcro grips, so we sent them back and got a pair of double buckle grips instead because that's what she wanted. They do taper in a little though, more so on the narrow width, but the regular width was plenty wide enough for my older dd who was 10-11 years old when she wore them.

if you really want the wide surface, call US Glove and tell them exactly what you want and he'll make it. at your own risk of course.:)

My DD's last grips were nastia grips and she loved them they weren't small or anything when she got her new grips a month or so ago she wanted the brand the other girls at the gym had I think they are Grips Ect and she says she likes them. she also uses the double buckles she says they stay better.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back