Grips - slightly too large or slightly too small?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

mightynighty

Hi,

I am an adult gymnast, and I think it's time for proper dowel grips- I constantly rip, and my palm guards are either the wrong size or just not comfortable. I'm not doing anything special at the moment- kips and flyaways mainly.

I was looking at the dowel size chart, and of course- I'm 6.5-6.6, when sizes are 6.0-6.5, or 6.5-7.0.
Do you have any recommendations? If it somehow matters, I'm around 90lbs, and I have freakishly long fingers when compared to the palm.

Thank you!

Well since your an adult you probably won't be growing anytime soon. Based on what my DD's coach tells us when ordering grips I would go with the 6.0 - 6.5 grips. Then use spray water on them when chalking up to break them in. That is what our gym does because when wet leather will stretch a bit but it never shrinks.

I'd go with the larger size, especially if you're not doing major circling elements (lots of clear hips and giants). If the grips are too small, they're absolutely miserable to break in. My hand puts me about 1/8 inch from the next largest size, and I get the smaller size so they'll last longer. However, I've been working on my current pair for about two weeks now, and they're still way too short. I couldn't imagine my hands being bigger and having to deal with that-- and I giant to break them in!

The make I use suggest that if you are on the boarder of 2 sizes, you should go down a size. A lot of manufacturers also say never wear guards that are too large.

Grips that are too long can griplock and that means your forearm will be braced on the bar with your bodyweight on it and SNAP!

Be patient and stretch out your grips if they are just a smidgin small. If they are way small, get the next size up.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back