WAG Grips.. To Buckle Or To Velcro

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Jenn's Jam

Proud Parent
Hi, so I was told by the gym that we were going to need a backup pair of grips... And My DD was honestly excited too because all of a sudden her grips are the worst grips in her eyes.. *sigh* So I am gonna have to get her another pair for "backup" purposes..But I have a feeling she will just use her other ones as backups now. Anywho, so I am going to get a Reisport one from Amazon but they have an option that you can either have Buckles Or Velcro. I know my DD would prefer Velcro just because it's easier to put on but if it's gonna make her bars different in some way then it'll be a big no... So what option would be better all around, Velcro Or Buckles?

-Jenn

Whatever is her preference. Velcro can come undone though, always put an elastic around it. What does she have now? Does she like it? If so, stick with it. If not, try the other.

Whatever is her preference. Velcro can come undone though, always put an elastic around it. What does she have now? Does she like it? If so, stick with it. If not, try the other.

She has buckle now, she doesn't have any problems with it other than if she puts it on a certain one it cuts off her circulation but if she puts it as one lower its "Too lose" so that's why I think she may like velcro better so she can put it as she pleases.

My son prefers velcro. He actually loves the ones with velcro and buckle but those are hard to find. He has never had the velcro come undone.... but he does adjust them a lto

Our gym, buckle. Bars coach goes nuts with the kids messing with the Velcro. And doesnt want them messing or getting OCD/superstitious/ritual about them adjusting.

If it were my kid, unless I was transitioning to something new with intent. Back up means the same as the primary. Because if you need the back up you don't want it to seem different.

I would also have my kid break in the back up before she actually needed it.

My daughter likes the double buckle reisport. Can barely tell the difference between a worn in pair and new cause they are so soft - best grips ever in her opinion.

When I was in gym - I had buckle grips! For the reason that the Velcro seemed to wear down and come undone (as previous posters have said ^^)
As for the too loose - too tight problem, my dad actually poked an additional hole in the straps for me to use - granted I don't know if I would advise this to others. ;):p

I think they both have pros and cons. Some of my kids have buckle, most have velcro. I prefer velcro for younger ones because they are usually unable to tighten and put on the buckle ones by themselves and need a friend or coach to help. For older (10 years and up) I recommend buckles. They take longer to put on but once they are on they don't need to adjust them all the time. The velcros are easier for younger girls but they need to be adjusted A LOT. And the velcro wears out eventually. BUT there are definitely differences between different brands.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back