WAG Grips Too Small?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

DD is 7 going to level 4 and just got her first pair of grips yesterday. She measured exactly in between sizes (biggest size for an XS and smallest for a S). so I got the smaller size thinking they would stretch some. In looking at them I did think they looked a little small, she couldn't grip the bar very well, seemed like the dowel was too far down her finger. Her coach also thought they were a little small. The problem is that while wearing the next size up (teammate had one and she tried it on and did a glide) she can fully extend her hand and I always thought that was a no-no. I'm willing to buy two sizes to let her try both, I'm just worried if they are too big or too small she will peel from the bar while learning to jump to the high bar or something. Here are some pictures of her hanging on the bar. These are just the XS. Going to try to get pics of the S in the morning.

Attachments

• IMG_7795 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7795 - Copy.JPG
    788.7 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7796 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_7796 - Copy.JPG
    787.6 KB · Views: 179
this is not how you take a pic for what your asking. put the wrist band on. put the grip(s) on. hold the hand up. open the hand as far as possible. open and extend the wrist as far as possible. take the pic looking at the side of the wrist. NOT the palm and NOT the top of the hand. from the side. :)

Your DD maybe one of the lucky ones that just doesn't fit well into grips though. DD is 8, training L7ish...(another long winded story), but she doesn't wear grips. She measures into them, but they don't fit. I've offered to look around for her, but she is fine without them. Hope it works out for you. Oh, BTW, I know grips seem like a right of passage for young gymnasts, but DD was ok knowing she 'qualified' for them! Lol!

Oops! And here I thought I was ahead of the game showing the grip on the bar! Thank you for letting me know! Dunno- I almost put your name in my post because I knew you would know ;). GYMOM I kind of didn't want her to get them until after she learned a kip because I know sometimes they don't shift as well but her coach wanted to get all the girls transitioned in to them before it gets close to season in a few months. She tried the larger pair tonight and said they were ok, although I wasn't there and she has no reference so I'm not sure how it really went.

Dunno just thought I would let you know that she has been using the bigger pair and apparently feels very good in them and her coach thinks they look good. I suppose that is good enough for me and its time to butt out ;)! Thanks for the input.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back