WAG Grips - very confused

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

OK. Please wash or replace wrist bands. We had a boy at our gym get blood poisoning from disgusting wrist bands. He had never washed or replaced them. Sweat, blood, other body fluides get on those things, bacteria grows and if they have an open abrasion on their wrists (ironically usually from grips) it can get into their blood stream. Very rare, but he was out for quite a while..

I replace Ds about every 2-3 months. I just buy a new pair. Fortunately, he loses them as often as 2-3 months so he has new wristbands quite often.

Not washing wristbands? What is this?

I always wash my daughter's, along with her bar gloves. We have a term in the UK that could even have been coined for these items, solely and specifically. That term is 'minging'.

I wash my DD's wristband occasionally because when they get full of chalk and sweat they get hard and are more abrasive to her wrists. I do wash them by hand and you would not believe the amount of chalk that those things can hold!

Oh, and to the OP, my DD loves her Ginnasta grips! She uses the velcro also!

I think it does sting, but ultimately soothes and helps it heal. Anything on a fresh rip is going to sting, like water from the shower will sting like crazy. I've heard of using chloroseptic sore throat spray on a rip to numb it, but we've never tried it (same with baby teething gel). On wrist rips, we've used gel burn pads, too. It will get better. Good luck finding what works for you!
When I was a kid we had bottles of chloroseptic next to the bars at all times. Also we had a coach who would just slap our hands hard (in case the chloroseptic didn't do the trick) and tell us to get back on the bar before the pain started again. :eek:

At our gym, the coaches would not let the gymnasts use grips before level 5. Don't know if it is to get them used to working their hands, or if it is because the level 4 grips are dowel free, and they didn't want them getting used to grips without dowels since every level after uses them.

As for rips/callouses.. we never put lotion on the callouses or anything to soften them. When they start to get too thick, we use a callous remover to shave them down. Cost us around $4, and she hasn't had a rip since. When she did get rips, we used to use "tough skin" if we could find it (stings like a bee, but it worked well) or my dad always said to use peroxide on the exposed area, cleans it and toughens the skin.

324.jpg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back