Grips- why and when?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Well, I guess I asked this question at the right time. I just got a note at practice last night that they are sizing DD for grips. Apparently our gym starts using them at L4. But, as this L4 is AAU, they are jumping to high bar for a long-hang pullover and doing tap swings. My DD is very strong on bars so I don't think I'm worried about the grips making her sloppy.

Well, I guess I asked this question at the right time. I just got a note at practice last night that they are sizing DD for grips. Apparently our gym starts using them at L4. But, as this L4 is AAU, they are jumping to high bar for a long-hang pullover and doing tap swings. My DD is very strong on bars so I don't think I'm worried about the grips making her sloppy.

How cute is that? :D I can only judge by my dd's gym, but I completely disagree that grips can cause so many issues. It must depend partially on coaching, grips brand as well as other factors... as I stated before our girls use grips immediately on pre-team - they learn their front/back hip circles, tap swings, kip and on with them. Our compulsory girls that competed last season have gorgeous form, and beautiful bars. 4 of our girls had never even competed before and won bars or placed in the top 3 at practically every L5/6 meet. Our L6 who was the youngest (just turned 8 yrs old) in our state to qualify for states by an entire year (she competed 1 L5 meet and then went right to L6).She is now the state bar champion in the 8-10 yr old age group. None of these girls ever got below a 9 from their 1st meet and on - except for the (then 7 yr old, turned 8 - 2 weeks before state) L6 that casted to a perfect handstand on the high bar, held it for 5 seconds and then fell forward into the coaches arms. Well, she got an 8.6 but she still won bars at that meet in the 7/8 yr old age group LOL!

It may take your little one a couple of weeks to adjust to them, but she will. I really like the AAU L4 in GA:D good luck to your dd!

How cute is that? :D I can only judge by my dd's gym, but I completely disagree that grips can cause so many issues. It must depend partially on coaching, grips brand as well as other factors... as I stated before our girls use grips immediately on pre-team - they learn their front/back hip circles, tap swings, kip and on with them. Our compulsory girls that competed last season have gorgeous form, and beautiful bars. 4 of our girls had never even competed before and won bars or placed in the top 3 at practically every L5/6 meet. Our L6 who was the youngest (just turned 8 yrs old) in our state to qualify for states by an entire year (she competed 1 L5 meet and then went right to L6).She is now the state bar champion in the 8-10 yr old age group. None of these girls ever got below a 9 from their 1st meet and on - except for the (then 7 yr old, turned 8 - 2 weeks before state) L6 that casted to a perfect handstand on the high bar, held it for 5 seconds and then fell forward into the coaches arms. Well, she got an 8.6 but she still won bars at that meet in the 7/8 yr old age group LOL!

It may take your little one a couple of weeks to adjust to them, but she will. I really like the AAU L4 in GA:D good luck to your dd!

Thanks. Your post really makes me feel better. DD's coach is a former Olympian so I have to trust that she knows what she's doing. And DD is great on bars (she's the L2 state bars champion for her age group) so maybe she is ready.

I would imagine if basics are taught well, with no tolerance for mistakes, then grips would not be an issue. Nic your gym is very strong on basics, in your vids you can see this. I imagine in a gym where good basics aren't taught so well wearing grips early could be a problem.

The good news is, we are now all much better informed than we were three days ago!:D

I would imagine if basics are taught well, with no tolerance for mistakes, then grips would not be an issue. Nic your gym is very strong on basics, in your vids you can see this. I imagine in a gym where good basics aren't taught so well wearing grips early could be a problem.

The good news is, we are now all much better informed than we were three days ago!:D

Gotta love info!!! I love hearing all of the different opinions/perspectives! :p

Grips have been great for us:) & Our coaches really do fine tune the basics... Our compuls. girls have great vault, beam and outstanding bars BUT we almost NEVER place on floor... go figure LOL

Thanks. Your post really makes me feel better. DD's coach is a former Olympian so I have to trust that she knows what she's doing. And DD is great on bars (she's the L2 state bars champion for her age group) so maybe she is ready.

This is so true that we have to put faith in our coaches that we entrust our dd's to ... :D

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back