MAG Grips with rolls or not

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Men's Artistic Gymnastics
I have only fought with the rolls in the grip for the high bar and always ended up using very thin leather protection grips of the inner hand. I just feel too distant from the bar and I feel that there is too much leather in my hand instead of the bar. Lately I watched the European Championships and it seemed that not one of the high bar athletes was wearing grips with rolls. Are the grips with rolls only helpful for some people? I would be very happy to hear more on that theme. I am aware of that the grips need to have the right size.

Hopefully someone can answer better than I can as I can only go off what my son used. He did use grips with dowels (is that what you mean? The thing across the top?)

I have seen people not use grips at all, or use dowel grips.

Yes, sorry, exactly, I mean the dowels. It seemed as nobody of the European championship used grips with dowels. I read somewhere, that if you use grips without dowels, you have to sort of form the fold, which is resembling the dowel, by yourself.

The dowel is a pretty important part of the grips, as it’s purpose is to improve your grip.

The dowel acts as an extension if the fingers and allows you to get a better grip on the bars, which is especially useful when you train bigger circling skills, once you develop past basics like kips. The dowel helps a lot with skills like clear hips.

Dowel grips take time to get used to, but the dowel is pretty much the entire point of the grip. It effectively extends your fingertips further around the bar.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back