Parents Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

LeoSwaplady

Proud Parent
What brand grips does your daughter use?

My DD11 is training Level 7 and she uses the grips we buy from the gym which don't have any brand name on them. I want to get her a new pair.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

If she likes the grips she has, ask the coach for the brand. Either way, I'd ask the coach which brand to get. If coach doesn't really care, then I guess it would depend on personal preference...narrow/wide. Velcro/buckles. Thin leather/thick leather.

My ds loves ten-o grips, Velcro. My dd still wears Baillie beginner buckle grips and she's a 14 yr old level 10.

I find that coaches don't like ginnasta, but, the littles like them because they are easy on their hands.....they do wear out quicker but I replace them every year anyway.
Buckles are a must.
I figure once mine is bigger, she may go with reisports

I find that coaches don't like ginnasta, but, the littles like them because they are easy on their hands.....they do wear out quicker but I replace them every year anyway.
Buckles are a must.
I figure once mine is bigger, she may go with reisports
I think it's related to what level they are and how long they are in grips. And the gymmies size.

Our gym just got them last summer for all the kids. Until then they waited until at least 7/8.

Don't remember the brand but the lower level kids and smaller kids got grips that are rather on the thinner side and single buckle. The higher level girls have a more substantial double buckle grip.

Everyone says buckles are a must, but really, they are not. My ds hates buckles, as does he coach (when he was a gymnast). He says they slide more, and he never feels secure in them. So let your dd decide whether buckles or velcro. Could be a guy thing but still.

Our coach hates velcro. He says all the kids do is forever mess with them and then they get all OCD about them.

Our coach agrees with the gymnasts. He may not like them messing with them, but he says he always felt safer with them as a gymnast. D has tried double buckle...and we promptly bought new ones. LOL

Everyone says buckles are a must, but really, they are not. My ds hates buckles, as does he coach (when he was a gymnast). He says they slide more, and he never feels secure in them. So let your dd decide whether buckles or velcro. Could be a guy thing but still.

I agree. My DS did NOT like his buckle grips, said that he felt like he could never get them tightened right. He prefers velcro for sure and now uses these to prevent the velcro from slipping some and getting caught on his uniform:
http://gymnastx.net/

DD started out with buckles and preferred them; but when she had a pari of grips break before we ordered more she ended up with some velcro because it was what she could get and she has been happy with them. She got some of the same bands that DS had and likes the velcros more now that she doesn't worry about them picking her leos.

What brand grips does your daughter use?

My DD11 is training Level 7 and she uses the grips we buy from the gym which don't have any brand name on them. I want to get her a new pair.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Our DDs old gym required the girls to buy the grips that he sold exclusively. When it was time for grips we did a bunch of research online and bought a pair that were very highly rated only to be told that she could not use them in the gym. I am not sure what brand they are, as they have no markings on them. We had a choice of single or double buckle as the coach "hated Velcro". My DD has very small hands and wrists so her old coach suggested single buckle which is what she uses to this day. Interestingly enough, the ones the old gym used exclusively were only around $50 which was about half of what we paid for the ones we ordered online, and seem to be high quality so I don't think that it was just another way to make money. I suggest that you involve the coach in the selection process, because they may only allow certain styles and I would hate for you to spend money on something that is not allowed like we did.

Our coach agrees with the gymnasts. He may not like them messing with them, but he says he always felt safer with them as a gymnast. D has tried double buckle...and we promptly bought new ones. LOL

It's funny how people can suffer. My Ds far prefers double buckle over Velcro.

I second this. dd has been using these since she started giants the summer before L7. double buckle for her. Before that, she had a pair of Velcro from 10.0. She didn't feel secure in the Velcro with doing giants. The Velcro wore out long before the actual grips. She used the same pair for 2 years, taping the Velcro until we got the double buckle ones.

There are some womens national team members who use Velcro, with tape or bands. If it is good enough for them, it must be ok.

Interestingly enough, the ones the old gym used exclusively were only around $50 which was about half of what we paid for the ones we ordered online, and seem to be high quality so I don't think that it was just another way to make money.
You paid $100 for a pair of grips? wow. I think the last pair of Reisports were around $55. That was 2 years ago. have they really gone up that much?!

[SIZE=16px said:
You paid $100 for a pair of grips? wow. I think the last pair of Reisports were around $55. That was 2 years ago. have they really gone up that much?!

I can't say for sure that they have gone up that much across the board, as we have only bought grips twice. The first time where we spent about $100 was online after a couple days researching. Second time was 4 days later when her gym made us buy hers from them lol. We could not return the expensive ones since we have a bar at home and my daughter had already started breaking them in. Live and learn I guess. [/SIZE]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back