WAG Grips

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

HopeShantz

Gymnast
So I am an excel gymnast and at my gym, you get grips when you get to Gold. I am practicing giants and flyaways and a lot of swinging movement. For, my team we have a brand that all my teammates have which is Bailie Dowel grips. Which is better velcro or buckles, if buckles single or double buckle?

If your swinging giants and going for flyaways I definitely recommend buckle, as they are a lot more secure and even offer some wrist support. And further, I recommend double buckles because they add a lot more stability and prevent your grips from sliding around. I have had six pairs of double buckle grips and they haven't had any problems with sliding yet :)

If your swinging giants and going for flyaways I definitely recommend buckle, as they are a lot more secure and even offer some wrist support. And further, I recommend double buckles because they add a lot more stability and prevent your grips from sliding around. I have had six pairs of double buckle grips and they haven't had any problems with sliding yet :)
Thanks!!! I look into them!!

By reputation, buckle grips are more secure, though I used velcro my entire competition career and never had any problems.

I've been wearing Velcro grips forever and just bought a pair of Bailie grips with the buckles to try out because Velcro grips require a LOT of adjusting throughout a practice session. I have to adjust them after literally every turn and it just gets annoying after a while. Some people prefer them because you can adjust them easily to your preferred tightness for each turn. I'm going to try switching to buckles because they seem to be less work overall. I think the most important consideration is that if you're going to get buckle grips, definitely get the double buckle.

I have heard good things about Bailie brand, I'm switching to Bailie from Reisport (just ordered a few days ago) because I've hear the leather is higher quality and lasts longer.

Where I live (France), velcro grips are the norm and we manage just fine. I don't think I ever saw a buckle grip in real life, including for girls swinging giants, bails, paks...

It does require some adjusting (maybe twice a session ?) but I wouldn't say it's bothersome or inconveniant.

But I'm thinking that, with velcro grips being the norm and no other option being available, maybe the velcro quality is better here than with US brands ?

But I'm thinking that, with velcro grips being the norm and no other option being available, maybe the velcro quality is better here than with US brands ?
What brands of grips do you have in France?

Most gymnasts use either Moreau or (maybe more often) Reisport (which apparently also exist with buckles but everyone I know use velcro).
Although I just checked and noticed some international-level gymnasts wear something over the velcro to keep it in place. Never seen it at club level though (around USAG level 8-9).

Most gymnasts use either Moreau or (maybe more often) Reisport (which apparently also exist with buckles but everyone I know use velcro).
Although I just checked and noticed some international-level gymnasts wear something over the velcro to keep it in place. Never seen it at club level though (around USAG level 8-9).

Interesting... I am not a fan of velcro grips.

I started with velcro Reisport grips back in the day and quickly switched to the double buckle and never looked back.

We have 100% of the athletes in our gym wearing US Glove double buckle gymnastics grips. It is something that has been great for our athletes and club.

Our gym asked that we get buckle grips for our DD because she kept fidgeting with them when she was supposed to be paying attention. With the buckles once they are on they are on.

Reactions: JBS
Interesting... I am not a fan of velcro grips.

I started with velcro Reisport grips back in the day and quickly switched to the double buckle and never looked back.

We have 100% of the athletes in our gym wearing US Glove double buckle gymnastics grips. It is something that has been great for our athletes and club.

My son does not like double buckle. He never felt like the double buckles would get tight enough, or they would be too tight. He now wears the ones that have 1 buckle and 1 velcro.

I have used velcro and double buckle. I don't really have a preference. I felt like I adjusted my velcro grips quite a bit where as once I put on my buckle I don't mess with the tightness until I take them off. I have never used the single buckle and probably never will I like having two ways to tighten my grips. I have always liked the idea of one buckle and one Velcro grip to get the best of both but they didn't make them in my size. I have always used ginnasta grips and love how quickly they break in. https://ginnasta-usa.com/products/g...cs-dowel-grips-for-ladies-girls-regular-width

I switched from velcro to buckle after I got tired of the velcro versus spandex fight.

Reactions: JBS

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back