Parents Guess what? 1st meet in not October, it's next weekend!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Blackie6

Proud Parent
Ahhhhh the surprises of a new gym, a new level and a new season! Everytime I go into my daughter's cubby mail box after practice, it's like Christmas! So, we are doing a meet next weekend! Good news, my daughter is doing all FOUR events! While I did not think she was ready, coach said she has been working with her on the floor. Not sure DD did it to music yet though...still up in the air about old music or new music. Bad news, it is NJ state fireman's convention and we are in Wildwood for 4 days! The guilty truth of it all... we cut school and cut gym for it! Well, leaving after practice Weds night so only missing a Friday and maybe Sat practice.

Some of you may remember me posting 2 years ago this month ( and I never thought my DD would make it to L5!) about how my new L4 missed her first meet w/her team because we were on vacation in Fla end of Aug and then went to Fireman's convention in Sept. While there, we had an e-mail from owner saying DD could NOT compete w/team becasue of all the vacationing we were doing. Being new we didn't know it was "meet" season, UGH! Anyway, DD had to go to one meet w/one other teamate and then one meet all by herself to "catch up" and qualify for sectionals. We still fondly call it the "Ketchup Meet". She did qualify, and we were fine, but hard not to be with team for first meet. So, now we are in same pickle. And now, being with new gym, we want her to feel like she belongs to her new team & teamates. This time I am prepared to leave if meet is on Saturday and just do drive up (of course it is a northern NJ gym and not a southern one!) to meet and then go back to shore. But, I think I have an angel looking down on me because DD's very kind new coach checked w/gym hosting tonight and we will be doing a Sunday session! This means we may have to leave early Sunday morning, but at least it is not a Saturday haul up 3 hrs and back down 3 hrs! But now I am nervous (wow, you would think I was the one competing huh?) and already started THE TALK...you know about remember when back in L4 you didn't get great scores, and this is a new level and you have to start somewhere and give it your best shot and it doesn't matter if you fall off anything we still love you speech.

But seriously, I am so proud of her making the big changing gyms transition, trying to catch-up on all the L5 routines after watching all her skills go backwards for 2 months & really showing people what a tiger she is. Last week her group was having a little contest on bars to see if anyone could do a cast handstand and my DD did a couple of them all by herself, so she is full of surprises..we are still talking about the in house meet beam routine score too..I hope she brings a couple more tricks next week at the meet.

Last edited:
How exciting for her!! I know she is going to do just fine. She has shown again and again that she is just full of surprises. From birth till now. ;) Glad that it all has worked out so she doesn't have to miss that first meet with her team!!! Can't wait to hear all about it. :)

That's awesome Blackie! I'm sure she will have a great meet. Those first meets are always scored a little lower, I think, just so the kids have somewhere to go with their scores. I am preparing to give this speech to my dd who will be competing L6 this year. I know her first scores will be very low!

Meg

Aww Blackie, she will do just fine! My dd sets little goals for herself at meets maybe like I'm going to land my vault, stick a bar routine or try not to fall on beam.

I think we all do "the talk." I know I do. I so understand the nerves you are feeling right now - again, I think we all get them.

I do think the "Gym Gods" were on your side with the meet falling on Sunday.

Can't wait to hear how it went!!!! Remember, she just needs a 30 to qualify to Sectionals... ;)

Good luck on her first meet.Wow,comp season came fast for you. She will be great. I know what you mean about being nervous. I think I'm more nervous than my daughter at meets.

So funny about the sectional score

Don't have to remind my daughter about the sectional score, LOL, yesterday at practice the coach said a bunch got in trouble during dance class. Of course I assume it's my DD becasue she has history at old gym for goofing off and getting into trouble w/dance teacher. Coach said no it wasn't mine, (later admitted making a funny statement under her breath but then shut up) but other teamates who were carrying on instead of working on the L5 leaps. My DD yelled at them and said "yeah, you better work on them so you get a good floor score & qualify for the sectional". I think they finally figured out what a competitor she is! She wants this 30AA so bad...that is her goal. I would be shocked actually since it is the first meet & we are not expecting big scores. I love your DD's idea of setting smaller goals for herself at meets...I think I will talk to her about that. She never used to put so much pressure on herself, but it seems like she really does now that she is in 5. And yes, there is a Gym God! We are going to Rettigs? Never been there before, but coach said it would be a small meet so that would be a nice start.

Aww Blackie, she will do just fine! My dd sets little goals for herself at meets maybe like I'm going to land my vault, stick a bar routine or try not to fall on beam.

I think we all do "the talk." I know I do. I so understand the nerves you are feeling right now - again, I think we all get them.

I do think the "Gym Gods" were on your side with the meet falling on Sunday.

Can't wait to hear how it went!!!! Remember, she just needs a 30 to qualify to Sectionals... ;)

Wow...that's super exciting how that all worked out. Good luck to her...she is going to be great! And drive safely!!;)

Sending good luck wishes to J this weekend... I have not had a chance to comment on her gym change yet, so wanted to add that I am so happy for her... she really sems to be thriving - I know it is never easy to make that change! Just thrilled that she is doing so well :)CONGRATS on L5, CONGRATS on competing AA & really, really hoping she get her sectionals score!!!

Keep us posted Blackie. We want to know how she does tomorrow. Sending her tons of good luck... :):)

Good Luck! I remember Beetle's first L5 meet! I was soooo nervous! I was so worried about her KIP! She made them both, but not pretty LOL.. she got a 29 at that first meet and we were THRILLED! This was without any previous competitions.

Let us know how she does! I bet she gets that 30 (or at least close to it!) She has worked really hard in the past few months. And she has her goals.

You know what I think? I think we should have practice meets for parents.. so we can practice how to calm our emotions! LOL I can watch half of the routines! The other half I try and will them over the bar or vault LOL!

Good Luck! I remember Beetle's first L5 meet! I was soooo nervous! I was so worried about her KIP! She made them both, but not pretty LOL.. she got a 29 at that first meet and we were THRILLED! This was without any previous competitions.

Let us know how she does! I bet she gets that 30 (or at least close to it!) She has worked really hard in the past few months. And she has her goals.

You know what I think? I think we should have practice meets for parents.. so we can practice how to calm our emotions! LOL I can watch half of the routines! The other half I try and will them over the bar or vault LOL!

OMG you are too funny! Practice meet for parents. I was a lot better last year since DD repeated L4, I was calm for most meets. I wasn't rushing to the bathroom between events. Then when DD broke her heel, she did the one meet on bars alone and I was a wreck, then she did states on it and I was a mess for that too b/c I was so worried about her foot.

But now, even at their little in house meet I felt that pain in my stomach and tried to satay as far away from the window as I could 9we were not allowed in gym) and I didn't video or anything. Not sure about this one, I would be estatic with a 29! I am just not sure she is ready yet. I want her to get that 30 because I know she wants to & it would take so much pressure off her, but she is also pretty grounded and knows she has some work to do still.

Oh and everyone, the meet is NEXT Sunday...we are off to Wildwood on Wed night and then hauling from the hotel Sunday morning (about 3hr trip from hotel to meet!) for a 11:30am start time! Oh joy, but better than a 9am start time! We will post the good or bad then.....but thanks to everyone for the good lucks...we will sure need them!!!

I feel your pain. I am still very nervous about my daughters first level5 meet which is not until November. Good luck to your daughter. I am sure both of you will survive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back