Parents Gym change stats

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Changed gyms after level 6. They moved my daughter up 3-6, with just 1 year of ever stepping foot in a gym. They told my wife and I we will work on her form when she gets to level 10. She’s now a 12 year old level 10 Hopes gymnast. Our gym change was the best decision for my daughter

Well our situation was a little different. We knew someone that was going to my daughters current gym that was recruiting us. Also my wife called the new gym and said we haven’t made any decisions yet we just want to come in for a tryout. Once we went to our old gym to talk they kicked us out anyway, so we never even talked about the new gym because they wanted us gone. Was a lot of stories on why they kicked us out, but it’s been three years and it’s was the best thing for my kid so I can careless about the truth now.
Yea, I expect that if we were to let current gym know we were looking elsewhere, they'd want us gone. Very tricky. But I assume if we did a trial at the potential new gym, they would keep it confidential. That is what I am debating doing - at least giving my daughter a glimpse of what a different gym could be like. We have been at same gym since she was 5 and she is now 10 and will be level 8 next year. She thinks leaving would be too scary but I think she'd be so much happier once she got comfortable with new friends and coaches.

Yea, I expect that if we were to let current gym know we were looking elsewhere, they'd want us gone. Very tricky. But I assume if we did a trial at the potential new gym, they would keep it confidential. That is what I am debating doing - at least giving my daughter a glimpse of what a different gym could be like. We have been at same gym since she was 5 and she is now 10 and will be level 8 next year. She thinks leaving would be too scary but I think she'd be so much happier once she got comfortable with new friends and coaches.
Yeah my daughter always had dreams of the Hopes, Jr Elite, and the Olympics. Our former gym was just a fun gym, so we broke it down like do you want to stay with your friends or be at a gym like your other friend and go after your dreams. My daughter chose the new gym not knowing she didn’t have a choice because we couldn’t go back anyway lol. It’s been three years and we just told her the truth the year.

Our story is definitely a positive one for our DD. The gym we started her at was mainly a rec gym with a small JO program and we absolutely loved the coaches. They encouraged us many years ago at the early compulsory levels to find a gym that would be more competitive and would allow her to reach her goals she set at a young age. To this day they continue to follow my DD and encourage her along the journey. I couldn't think of a better transition and outcome for her and our family.

As it relates to switching gyms at the higher levels... we see it all the time. Mostly, it is gymnasts that have college and or elite aspirations and they currently don't have the coaching to reach those dreams.

Lastly, I have never understood gym owners burning bridges with the gymnasts and their parents. How does this possibly make good business sense in any community?

As to why gyms burn bridges... I'm wondering if it's to discourage other gymnasts from considering leaving? Or to punish the one who tried our elsewhere? I've never understood it either.
When we changed gyms we were totally open to the coaches about it, and they were open to us too! My older DD was going on Level 8 and only had one team-mate with her. They were the highest level in the gym. I spoke to two coaches and asked them if they thought DD had better potential to make college and HOPES (her dreams) if we moved to a more experienced gym. Both told me they had never trained a level 10 but were willing to learn. However they understood if we wanted leave. We tried out elsewhere and decided to make a switch. Her other team-mate actually moved to excel that year. The coaches and team threw a good-bye party for my DD's and coaches wished them all the best. DD's still pop in from time to time to say hi to the coaches and we're still on good terms! I was extremely impressed and wish more coaches would be like this!

It's nice hearing about some of these positive experiences people have had switching gyms. That unfortunately does not seem to be the norm. I recently learned of a situation where a family had two gymnasts (a young L6 and an older Xcel Platinum). Their family decided that it was in the best interest of the younger gymnast's goals to switch gyms. The HS Xcel gymnast however, was very happy at her current gym and wanted to stay with her friends and coaches. Though this would be complex logistically for the parents, they felt that was what was in the best interest of each child and were willing to make it work. When the younger gymnast gave her notice, the family was told there was no longer room in the program for the older gymnast. The fact that they would essentially kick out a HS junior that wanted to finish her gymnastics career there, simply because they were mad at the family for moving the other daughter to a different program made me sick. Completely disgusting behavior of the gym management.

We had about 35 girls on DDs level 3 team there are 10 still with her in Level 8 now (some are level 7). Most ended up leaving the sport in the jump from compulsory to Optionals. We have only had a few girls go to other gyms around here and I have found most that went to another gym end up quitting within 1-2 years anyway. Our gym is pretty good about girls moving to other gyms I am not sure they are warm and fuzzy about it but they helped one level 9 girl go to the "rival" gym because it really was in the best interest of the girl to get a fresh start at a new gym they told her she would always be welcome back as well. Its a business and I get the sting of losing business to a competitor but its also about a business centered on kids so at the end of the day you really should have the kids best interest at heart. I think some gyms fear the "big loss" where a disgruntled parent leaves and convinces a lot of people to go with them. I have only seen that happen once a group of like 4 girls all left for the gym down the street they all ended up quitting a year later anyway. Otherwise the people who are happy tend to stay happy and the people who arent tend to move on. If you run a good business you really shouldnt fear the "big loss" because they won't be able to recruit people to leave with them.

Sometimes I think we should have moved her. She’s still at her original gym and very bonded with her teammates. That said, she’s hit a huge wall this year, a lot of the best coaches have left and the one she has most of the time seems to just go through the motions. I don’t know how she will make it out of this stall.

It's nice hearing about some of these positive experiences people have had switching gyms. That unfortunately does not seem to be the norm. I recently learned of a situation where a family had two gymnasts (a young L6 and an older Xcel Platinum). Their family decided that it was in the best interest of the younger gymnast's goals to switch gyms. The HS Xcel gymnast however, was very happy at her current gym and wanted to stay with her friends and coaches. Though this would be complex logistically for the parents, they felt that was what was in the best interest of each child and were willing to make it work. When the younger gymnast gave her notice, the family was told there was no longer room in the program for the older gymnast. The fact that they would essentially kick out a HS junior that wanted to finish her gymnastics career there, simply because they were mad at the family for moving the other daughter to a different program made me sick. Completely disgusting behavior of the gym management.
Awful behavior! It was probably because gyms prefer younger gymnasts who they will be able to add onto their resume when they are recruited etc. An older excel platinum is of no interest to them! Steer clear of such places they do not have the best interests of the child in mind!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back