Gym equipment safety and updating

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

dancengym

We've been new to our gym (a little over 2 years) and to gymnastics as a whole. There has been problems within our gym and about 2/3 of our gymnasts have left. There are so many rumors and bad mouthing that went around at our gym, it is hard to tell which way is up. Of concern to me right now is that our equipment is outdated and can cause injury to our gymnasts. Visually, it is obvious that our vault is getting thread bare and so is the trampoline. We also do not have any pits. There is also talk about our floor being "cracked" in some places. Some have claimed landing on these cracks and straining/spraining their ankle. Apparently, a parent complained and all management did was "nail it down"--whatever that means. I know my dd has said certain parts of the floor is much bouncier than other parts. With unhappy parents telling their own experience and these stories getting passed from one person to another, the accuracy or validity becomes questionable. It is also hard to go to the owners as they do get offended and I don't know if they would even admit to this if it were true. Can anyone tell me (1) what is underneath the floor and could there be a concern based on this story; and (2) which apparatus, equipment (including mats, spring boards, tumbletrack, etc.) have a limited life and need to be replaced, or checked, or updated on a regular basis. Thanks for your help.

It is going to be really hard for you to tell just by looking. Yes equipment does have a shelf life and while most of it is very durable and holds up for years it does require maintenance and should be getting checked regularly. Also because the coaches/owners do not use the equipment themselves they should be listening to the gymnasts if they have a complaint about the equipment. Gymnastics is dangerous enough without faulty equipment. From the sounds of your story it may be time to gym shop.

I think you should broach the subject with the coaches and owners. If they get offended, that is too bad, you are paying to use their gym and safety is paramount. If you don't get any satisfaction with them, I would look for another gym.

I called some gym equipment supply companies to find out the composition of a gymnastics floor. According to them, 10 years is about the life of a floor depending on the type of flooring-the wood used, springs, foam, etc. I know we've not changed floors since the gym started some 18 years ago. Also, the "dead zones" as it was termed could be from springs coming loose or the subfloor actually breaking. To replace the entire floor, subfloor, springs, foam, carpet, etc. will be around $20,000. I don't know if our gym can afford that and would actually do that voluntarily. As far as moving, the only other gym we might consider is quite a distance away. Is there a governing body that enforces gym owners to make sure their equipment is safe and is up to "code" (i.e., like fire marshalls, building inspectors)? I don't want them to be closed down because they are a decent gym. But just afraid of injury.

I would be very concerned about this and would bring this up with the owner. You pay them, and it is their responsibility to make sure the environment is safe for all athletes. Accidents do happen but if something happens due to equipment failure then the gym could be held liable especially if they have been told by numerous gymnasts and parents about the condition of equipment. If they are unwilling to make repairs then i would be looking around at other gyms. Bottom line. safety first!!

I called some gym equipment supply companies to find out the composition of a gymnastics floor. According to them, 10 years is about the life of a floor depending on the type of flooring-the wood used, springs, foam, etc. I know we've not changed floors since the gym started some 18 years ago. Also, the "dead zones" as it was termed could be from springs coming loose or the subfloor actually breaking. To replace the entire floor, subfloor, springs, foam, carpet, etc. will be around $20,000. I don't know if our gym can afford that and would actually do that voluntarily. As far as moving, the only other gym we might consider is quite a distance away. Is there a governing body that enforces gym owners to make sure their equipment is safe and is up to "code" (i.e., like fire marshalls, building inspectors)? I don't want them to be closed down because they are a decent gym. But just afraid of injury.

$20,000? I don't know anyone's who's replaced for that low in the last five years.

Anyway they might say 10 but having just installed a new one after about 10 year I personally thought it was a total waste of money. It didn't really need to be replaced, but funding isn't an issue (kind of a unique situation) so it was. Nice enough but I wouldn't really say necessary. Think it could have gone another 5 years. Of course there is a difference in quality between what was available 18 years ago and 10, so there's that. Even 18 years ago lots of gyms had foam block floors (which don't have springs).

The floor boards can crack. That's not uncommon. As for how actually dangerous it is, that depends on the extent of the damage. And depends on how the floor is used.

It sounds plenty dangerous if people are spraining their ankles from landing on cracks. You need to talk to the owners directly, not rely on hearsay. If the gym cannot afford to replace it, they may need to come up with some fundraising ideas, looks for sponsors, apply for community grants or whatever else might help.

As a gym owner, I would definatly want this brought to my attention. I would want the girls to show me on the floor where the places are that don't feel safe or are dead areas. Also, have the girls point out anything else that does not seem "safe" to them.
I don't know if you have a booster club or what, but our floor only cost us $10,000 brand new- we bought it unassembled and put it together ourselves which was not that hard if you have people with experience. The carpet might be reusable which will save you a pretty penny also. You might just have to look at the thing as a hole and see if you can replace part of it.
Safety is the number one and the gym can get sued if this has been brought up and no one fixed it- neglegance etc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back