WAG Gym Hopping

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I agree that it really depends on the reasons. My DD is a 7 year old JO3 and she is on her 3rd gym already. We left the first because one of her coaches was charged with gym related sexual offences and then all the other coaches left, and then we left the next because they shut down their JO program after her first season competing.

We had the option of the high hours super intense gym last summer, and chose a more athlete centered, focus on perfecting the basics kind of gym. She is still young, and going from 6-16 hours a week seemed like a recipe for injury or burnout. That being said, the gym we chose doesn’t have optionals past level 6, and DD and coaches are aware that if she ever wants to get on the elite pathway, she will have to switch to said high hours super intense gym in the next 2-3 years. It’s just not right for her in 2nd grade.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with doing what’s right for your gymnast/family along the way and we shouldn’t feel guilty about it.

I feel like the main feelings that come with “gym hopping” mostly with competitive gymnasts is that a coach may have built and trained that gymnast from a certain age and helped mould the gymnast that they are today. Especially if a gymnast has been trained by a certain coach until level 8-9. I feel like coaches would feel disappointed as they put so much effort and time into a gymnast to create their fundamentals and mould the gymnast. I would think that would be the main fround upon issues with moving gyms. I mean you also have the actual gym which may feel their coaches have created and put many hours into the gymnast to create their bodies and trained them since they were young to then have them go to another gym and achieve massive results which the other gym could claim is because of them but is not if that gymnast was also getting great results at the old gym. However if your following the coach that has created the gymnast then that’s a perfect reason

I feel like the main feelings that come with “gym hopping” mostly with competitive gymnasts is that a coach may have built and trained that gymnast from a certain age and helped mould the gymnast that they are today. Especially if a gymnast has been trained by a certain coach until level 8-9. I feel like coaches would feel disappointed as they put so much effort and time into a gymnast to create their fundamentals and mould the gymnast. I would think that would be the main fround upon issues with moving gyms. I mean you also have the actual gym which may feel their coaches have created and put many hours into the gymnast to create their bodies and trained them since they were young to then have them go to another gym and achieve massive results which the other gym could claim is because of them but is not if that gymnast was also getting great results at the old gym. However if your following the coach that has created the gymnast then that’s a perfect reason
I believe all parties put a lot into it. The coach, parents and most of all the gymnast. It’s all about the gymnast, so if a gymnast wants to leave, they have every right and don’t need the “perfect reason.” I wish there was a name for people who stay at gyms that are miserable and continue to *****.

I believe all parties put a lot into it. The coach, parents and most of all the gymnast. It’s all about the gymnast, so if a gymnast wants to leave, they have every right and don’t need the “perfect reason.” I wish there was a name for people who stay at gyms that are miserable and continue to *****.
One hundred percent there are many reasons. Just stating a reason to why parents may thinking “gym hopping” is frowned upon with gyms or coaches. Never said it was bad just stating an opinion. Clearly people in other posts are stating she had a “good reason “ to leave. Was trying to say the fact she followed the coach she should have been frowned upon as the main reason a club or coach may frown upon a gymnast leaving clubs is due to the hard work they have put into them. So if their following the coach they shouldn’t have any backlash. Don’t understand how my sentence was taken in ur way

One hundred percent there are many reasons. Just stating a reason to why parents may thinking “gym hopping” is frowned upon with gyms or coaches. Never said it was bad just stating an opinion. Clearly people in other posts are stating she had a “good reason “ to leave. Was trying to say the fact she followed the coach she should have been frowned upon as the main reason a club or coach may frown upon a gymnast leaving clubs is due to the hard work they have put into them. So if their following the coach they shouldn’t have any backlash. Don’t understand how my sentence was taken in ur way
Should Not have been frowned upon. *

You had valid reasons for switching gyms. "Gym hoping" in my book has a negative connotation. Those that are never happy were they are and always seek greener pastures are what I would consider "gym hoppers". Regardless, the bottom line is if the switch makes your daughter happy and she continues to thrive in the environment, it works for your family and perhaps done in as civil/friendly/ethical manner as possible, who really cares how you are perceived.

I think people move gyms for different reason. I guess we could be considered gym hoppers.
1. Moved from our original gym - as the coaching at the time couldn't coach kids past L8. Thank god we did. The HC ended up losing 70+ kids and finally stepped down after 2 years.
2. Moved from our second gym because our commuting partner - gymnie quit. I could never get her to that gym no matter how hard I tried. Gym was a great gym. Good coaches, fabulous kids - It was just impossible.
3. Moved from our last gym which was 7 mins from our home and was also the same gym as our first gym (remember the HC left after two years) but left 4 months ago as the HC was mentally and verbally abusive towards higher level gymnast.

So yes - I guess in the true sense we are gym hoppers but for the right reason.

Here in Ontario - gym coaches - hop just as much as gymnie's do. My dd last HC had been in at least 6 clubs that I am aware of. And its pretty common here for the coaches to move around as well. They move for a variety of reasons as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back