Gym in San Diego

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter and I will be in San Diego for 8-10 days for the YMCA Nationals. This is a long time for her to be away from the gym. Can anyone recommend a gym in the area for her to work out at?

The Toby Wells YMCA has a brand new gym, and they are YMCA! Your daughter could even make some new friends that she will compete with.

When we stayed in San Diego we trained with that club, though then they were at the Mission Valley YMCA. They were very welcoming and my girl had a blast. I think they charge $10 per 3 hour course.

San Diego was so lovely, what a great place for Nationals.

Thank you very much Bog. I will contact them. My daughter pretty much lives in the gym so a week without training would be very hard for her.

I was born to travel. In fact I live to travel. This year it will be Scotland, Marseille, Barcelona, Paris, NYC and that quiet spot you told me about in NJ!

Hi,

You're lucky that there are a number of nice gyms near the site of your meet. You should consider traffic patterns at the time you would need to drive to the gym—traffic in San Diego going out from the city in the afternnoon is limited to a few major arteries, and it can be quite slow. Accordingly, much depends on where you are staying. The hotels listed at the meet site are in Hotel Circle, just north of downtown San Diego. I’ve listed some anticipated travel times (courtesy of Google, but not in rush hour) from the meet site:

Victory, closest by a small margin, is a newish club with a small team in a nice facility. It’s about 6.4 miles (8 minutes) away from the met site. My daughter enjoyed her visits there.

VGA - Welcome!

Mission Valley YMCA, which Bogwoppit recommended, is only 6.7 miles away (8 minutes) from the meet site. I thought it was nice facility when I visited there a couple of years ago, but my child hasn’t worked out there.
Mission Valley YMCA | Girls Team

San Diego All-Stars is also not far away, 13.4 miles away (about 17 minutes). My daughter has worked out there, too—and enjoyed it. This is home to a larger team.

San Diego All Star Gymnastics

San Diego Gymnastics Academy is about 15 miles (16 minutes) away.
Welcome To The San Diego Gymnastics Academy Website

If it was me, I’d consider the closest gyms and try to enjoy my visit and avoid traffic. (I'd probably go with Mission Valley or Victory, based on the proximity to the meet site and how easy it was to arrange a visit.) One or more of these clubs should welcome your daughter during her visit.

What level is your daughter? Level 7 and up get an open workout at the site of the meet. I would probably talk to your daughter's coach before you sign her up to workout at a gym down there.

OH Bog, I am SOOOOO jealous!!! I get to spend my vacation taking DD to a Justin Bieber concert in North Carolina.... what fun (not!).....

I never would have thought to take my DD to a gym while on vacation. Yours must have the "bug" real bad. :)

Mission Valley is sponsoring the nationals this year so they may be a little
busy.

I believe Poway Gymnastics may be the closest gym to the venue you'll be competing at. They hosted a meet this year at the Town & Country hotel, so I'm just making this assumption. Anyway, here's their contact info: www.powaygymnastics.com, address 12850 Brookprinter Place, Poway, CA 92064, phone (858) 748-1716.

San Diego's a great place - enjoy!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back