Gym opening data in the US by state

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I’m in central va and in phase 1 we are doing stuff outside in groups of eight kids and two coaches. I’m not sure when inside gymnastics can start (Which phase, phase 2 is not even available to read about yet) but you all in NOVA are most likely entering phase 1 Friday so should be able to do outdoor activity on small groups.

I’m in central va and in phase 1 we are doing stuff outside in groups of eight kids and two coaches. I’m not sure when inside gymnastics can start (Which phase, phase 2 is not even available to read about yet) but you all in NOVA are most likely entering phase 1 Friday so should be able to do outdoor activity on small groups.
I’m sure they could start small groups of outdoor conditioning, but my D’s gym is highly urban and I don’t think they have the ability to move things outside- though I doubt they would want to either. I am actually more interested in dance studios, which I am assuming will be in the same phase as gymnastics.

Has your gym said which phase they’re in? I’ve heard phase 2, 3, and also after phase 3. I can’t find anything definitive online.
I believe phase 1 begins Friday. We haven’t heard definitively yet from the gym owner what the plan will be come 7/1. Currently they’ve doing online practices.

I believe phase 1 begins Friday. We haven’t heard definitively yet from the gym owner what the plan will be come 7/1. Currently they’ve doing online practices.
Yes, phase one begins in NoVa on Friday (without gymnastics and dance except outdoor groups of 10). But what is in any phase past one hasn’t been made available, right?

Yes...I think you're correct. I haven't kept up much with which types of businesses would fall under each phase of re-opening. We're just waiting on word from the gym to let us know the next step to a potential return in the summer. I have a feeling that once the owner gets the go ahead, team kids are going to jump right back into things going up to 20 hrs a week depending on the practice group.

That's interesting and good to hear. We are also in Northern VA and hoping for a 7/1 opening. 5 more weeks of zoom training!!!
Please report back if you do have an opening or your gym starts to do outside workouts. Our NOVA gym hasn't said anything at all in terms of timing. We are all completely in the dark.

Our gym gets to start offering 50 minute privates to team members (a max of 4 at a time and 16 a day, 3 days a week) with cleaning equipment in between beginning June 1.
This is part of our phase 1. Coaches will be wearing masks. If a parent stays, they wear a mask and stay at least 6 feet apart. No spotting. Bring your own water and a bag to keep your stuff in. Bring your own chalk or buy a block for $3.
In phase 2, we will be able to do small groups.

Reactions: SMH
A few days ago Inslee officially announced that some fitness and training can open in phase two, specifically, "Instruction for personal fitness training that requires access to specialized equipment, including but not limited to gymnastics, weight and resistance training, martial arts, yoga, and similar instructor-led fitness services." So gyms are officially phase 2. Which could start as early as June 1 or as late as whenever our governor decides to move from phase 1. Who knows. But at least it's no longer phase 3. Basically the gyms can have groups of 5 plus a coach and have to keep low capacity (I think 30%, but not sure). Dd is over the moon happy that gyms will open sooner than they would have otherwise, and it's thanks to some awesome gym owners in our state who went public and demanded that they be heard about they could reopen safely.
Our county in WA approved the measure to petition for early entry into Phase 2. Once we get that approval (which sounds likely) our teams will start going back. 2 hour practices, smaller groups, but they will at least be IN THE GYM!

Our gym gets to start offering 50 minute privates to team members (a max of 4 at a time and 16 a day, 3 days a week) with cleaning equipment in between beginning June 1.
This is part of our phase 1. Coaches will be wearing masks. If a parent stays, they wear a mask and stay at least 6 feet apart. No spotting. Bring your own water and a bag to keep your stuff in. Bring your own chalk or buy a block for $3.
In phase 2, we will be able to do small groups.

We're entering phase 4 (out of 6) and no gym is allowed open, not even for privates or small groups. It's so frustrating seeing so many other states opening gymnastics in the first 2 phases. Gymnastics isn't even mentioned in any of the reopening phases. Our malls are opening but our kids can't train in small groups.

We're entering phase 4 (out of 6) and no gym is allowed open, not even for privates or small groups. It's so frustrating seeing so many other states opening gymnastics in the first 2 phases. Gymnastics isn't even mentioned in any of the reopening phases. Our malls are opening but our kids can't train in small groups.
The only reason we get to be in this phase is that school sports are allowed to start non-contact skills and conditioning and the Y is allowed to open with several restrictions. We are in a unique position in that we have to follow YMCA, USAG, OHSAA, our State, and our County Health Department best practices. HC's plan had to pass ALL of the requirements for all of the organizations so she went above and beyond.
Now she did say that 2 siblings can share a private ... and she decided to only offer 3 at a time instead of 4. She will be opening up more time slots, but for the first 2 weeks of June, each girl can have 1 private and will be sent home with a home workout specific for her and we will still do our twice a week zoom workouts.

I am not in the USA, but I need to whinge.

In the past three days my state (in Australia) has conducted nearly thirty thousand tests. Anyone who wants a test can get one. From those tests, over the past three days, we have had only three positives, all people returning from overseas and safely in compulsory hotel quarantine. We have one person in intensive care with Covid, and they are not even on a ventilator.

There is still no move towards opening up indoor kids activities (gymnastics, dance schools etc), not even with small numbers and social distancing. I do not want them to open until staff feel safe, but the staff from my daughter’s gym are going crazy. They think it is unfair that restaurants can have twenty people in them all sitting around the same table drinking and talking for hours but a large well ventilated gym cannot socially distance ten children, even though the government’s official line is that kids do not spread it.

Full contact (tackling) professional football is back on, with all the interstate travel and mixing of adults that involves. school is back. Gambling is back, beauty services are back. But a few kids in a gym or dance class? Apparently not.

I think never happening here on Long Island, NY. Still in the thick of everything, and not that close to meeting the metrics for Phase 1.
Yep July/Aug would be a miracle

I am not in the USA, but I need to whinge.

In the past three days my state (in Australia) has conducted nearly thirty thousand tests. Anyone who wants a test can get one. From those tests, over the past three days, we have had only three positives, all people returning from overseas and safely in compulsory hotel quarantine. We have one person in intensive care with Covid, and they are not even on a ventilator.

There is still no move towards opening up indoor kids activities (gymnastics, dance schools etc), not even with small numbers and social distancing. I do not want them to open until staff feel safe, but the staff from my daughter’s gym are going crazy. They think it is unfair that restaurants can have twenty people in them all sitting around the same table drinking and talking for hours but a large well ventilated gym cannot socially distance ten children, even though the government’s official line is that kids do not spread it.

Full contact (tackling) professional football is back on, with all the interstate travel and mixing of adults that involves. school is back. Gambling is back, beauty services are back. But a few kids in a gym or dance class? Apparently not.
I think your State is the only one without an opening date. The rest of the States in Australia all either have an opening date or are already open. June 13th for us, with limited numbers.

I think your State is the only one without an opening date. The rest of the States in Australia all either have an opening date or are already open. June 13th for us, with limited numbers.

Yes we are, and we are not even the state with the most new cases.

There are actually gyms open in that area. But idk the names of them. Did hear it from a reliable source though.
NY is a big state. I would doubt they are in the greater metro NY area.And if the6 are, they are the exception.

There are no gyms in our area open. Jul/August would be a miracle for most of us in this area.

NY is a big state. I would doubt they are in the greater metro NY area.And if the6 are, they are the exception.

There are no gyms in our area open. Jul/August would be a miracle for most of us in this area.
Right. Agreed. But as we all know, there always seem to be exceptions to every rule....!

There are no gyms that I know of that are open Upstate, but I can’t imagine there aren’t rules being broken somewhere. Our best case scenario for Phase 4 is June 26, but I agree that that would be a miracle. There is a petition going around to open up gymnastics in Phase 3 (which best case scenario could be June 12), but I don’t see it happening. We’re still worried that schools might not open up in September. :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back