Gym opening data in the US by state

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

They won’t be open in any way I would classify as “normal” or as “expected”
I agree. Our school district (which is very large, our high school graduates 700ish kids a year) has been throwing ideas around like kids going half days or every other day. There are obviously many challenges associated with this, but I’m glad they’re thinking outside the box. We‘ll see....

I agree. Our school district (which is very large, our high school graduates 700ish kids a year) has been throwing ideas around like kids going half days or every other day. There are obviously many challenges associated with this, but I’m glad they’re thinking outside the box. We‘ll see....
There is no school in the NYS public school system ready to do online education.
I’m currently investigating online options. Because if my kid needs to do online school I want her to be involved with a program that is capable of doing online well.

It's so crazy how wildly different things are across the US.
We are a big country with very different numbers.one of my friends live in an area of the country they have had. 800 or so cases and 15 deaths..... Very differe around here

Oh, I know. I'm in Texas. We don't exactly have small numbers, but things are on a very fast track toward "business as usual."

There is no school in the NYS public school system ready to do online education.
I’m currently investigating online options. Because if my kid needs to do online school I want her to be involved with a program that is capable of doing online well.
I am also in NY. The gyms are pushing for opening in phase 2. What does everyone think of that?

I am also in NY. The gyms are pushing for opening in phase 2. What does everyone think of that?
We would go back tomorrow. Unfortunately no one cares what our family thinks

I would not feel comfortable sending Puma Jr today. But that’s just my opinion and Puma and I are constantly assessing and reassessing what we feel comfortable with. It’s hard. There are no perfect answers. It will never be 100% safe. But today no. I’ll reassess as it gets closer? I really don’t think we’ll be legally able to until phase 4 anyway in NY, so for today its a moot point. If they do deem gyms safe to open in phase 3 (which best case scenario is 2 weeks from yesterday) maybe we will send her? I don’t know! I do feel fortunate that I think our gym will be as safe as possible and have everyone‘s health in mind.

I would not feel comfortable sending Puma Jr today. But that’s just my opinion and Puma and I are constantly assessing and reassessing what we feel comfortable with. It’s hard. There are no perfect answers. It will never be 100% safe. But today no. I’ll reassess as it gets closer? I really don’t think we’ll be legally able to until phase 4 anyway in NY, so for today its a moot point. If they do deem gyms safe to open in phase 3 (which best case scenario is 2 weeks from yesterday) maybe we will send her? I don’t know! I do feel fortunate that I think our gym will be as safe as possible and have everyone‘s health in mind.
It is a hard decision I agree. We are in NYC so we haven’t even gotten to phase one but some people are chomping at the bit To get started. I am just worried about safety.

It is a hard decision I agree. We are in NYC so we haven’t even gotten to phase one but some people are chomping at the bit To get started. I am just worried about safety.
I totally get it. I‘m both. Chomping at the bit, but also worried about safety. I am (like everyone I’m sure!) SO DONE with Corona!! It’s definitely an emotional time for all.

We are in the same boat. Our district totally botched the spring closing and pretty much wrote off the last quarter of the year. There are no plans for anything other than a business-as-usual in-person reopening in the fall, which translates to massive chaos when someone tests positive and they have no plan to react. We are seriously considering cobbling together an on-line program from two different providers to ensure that our child’s education is not interrupted. I am way more concerned about schools than about whether and when gyms reopen.

We are in the same boat. Our district totally botched the spring closing and pretty much wrote off the last quarter of the year. There are no plans for anything other than a business-as-usual in-person reopening in the fall, which translates to massive chaos when someone tests positive and they have no plan to react. We are seriously considering cobbling together an on-line program from two different providers to ensure that our child’s education is not interrupted. I am way more concerned about schools than about whether and when gyms reopen.

THis is shocking to me. We have had committees developing multiple plans and contingencies since April. In May, they started working almost daily. It is going to be a rough year for sure. I worry about the public education system during all of this.

THis is shocking to me. We have had committees developing multiple plans and contingencies since April. In May, they started working almost daily. It is going to be a rough year for sure. I worry about the public education system during all of this.

Our governor just established a public education task force within the last week. Our district has done no planning or communication whatsoever. I have several friends who are teachers, and they have gotten zero information. Teachers go on summer break in two weeks and don’t come back until the week before school starts, so there is obviously not going to be any time for them to be trained on safety protocols or distance learning technology, or to develop on-line content. Our district has a history of reacting poorly to weather emergencies, so it’s no surprise that they are sticking their heads in the sand with the current situation.

I would like to see our middle and high schools stream all their classes live and offer students and faculty the choice of attending/teaching in person or remotely. The classrooms already have the necessary hardware. This would not require teachers to develop new materials and would allow for maximum flexibility. I know some universities are already planning to operate in this manner.

Our governor just established a public education task force within the last week. Our district has done no planning or communication whatsoever. I have several friends who are teachers, and they have gotten zero information. Teachers go on summer break in two weeks and don’t come back until the week before school starts, so there is obviously not going to be any time for them to be trained on safety protocols or distance learning technology, or to develop on-line content. Our district has a history of reacting poorly to weather emergencies, so it’s no surprise that they are sticking their heads in the sand with the current situation.

I would like to see our middle and high schools stream all their classes live and offer students and faculty the choice of attending/teaching in person or remotely. The classrooms already have the necessary hardware. This would not require teachers to develop new materials and would allow for maximum flexibility. I know some universities are already planning to operate in this manner.

Interesting.

I know our full committee started planning at the end of April. They have 3 teams each working on different scenarios. We have certain dates throughout the summer to watch for information and updates. I teach in a different district than my kiddo attends, and both have done a great job of keeping us up to date and working. It will be interesting, and will not be normal, but I know teachers will be doing everything they can for the students.

Interesting.

I know our full committee started planning at the end of April. They have 3 teams each working on different scenarios. We have certain dates throughout the summer to watch for information and updates. I teach in a different district than my kiddo attends, and both have done a great job of keeping us up to date and working. It will be interesting, and will not be normal, but I know teachers will be doing everything they can for the students.
NYS s*cks

When Ohio's governor announced the initial closure, the teachers used an in-service day to get things pulled together. Luckily, the kids already had school-issued chromebooks and were already doing some things online (schoology, google classroom, duolingo, edpuzzle, quizziz, edulastic, pearson realize and mathXL and others. The student page of the school website has a lot of the links (but not all) they use from elementary - high school.

It was just a matter of figuring out how to deliver the content to the students (Zoom and Loom and another one) and making sure there were also paper versions of assignments for those without Internet access. They said no final exams, and then the school board decided that at the high school level, students could decide to do the last 9 weeks either for a grade (best if you were doing better than you did 3rd 9 weeks or if you failed 3rd 9 weeks) or Pass / Fail (best if you were doing worse than 3rd 9 weeks because your semester grade if you chose pass/fail would be your 3rd 9 weeks grade). With the pass / fail option, the teacher got to decide the criteria for passing ... and if you fail, you have to make up enough of the assignments in the fall as needed to earn the Pass. They had to fill out a "survey" listing each of their classes and what type of grade they wanted by May 15. Because it was up to the teacher to decide, YG was going to do ALL for a grade. On May 18, the foreign language teacher posted on the class page her criteria: Passing meant completing 60% of the assignments with at least an 80% on each one. With 32 assignments, that meant they had to do 20. We immediately emailed the guidance counselor and explained that had we known this BEFORE we submitted the survey, she would have chosen the Pass / Fail option and asked if we could change it now (there were supposed to be NO changes made after the deadline ... but apparently, some students didn't turn it in on time and they extended the deadline PLUS the administration has been going around and around with us about this class all year so they wanted to be accommodating).

YG is taking 6 classes for grades and she has earned a Pass in the other class. She will make the honor roll for the first time ever ... and not just the honor roll, but the 4.0 Honor Roll (all 6 are A+ and her lowest grade is 97.08%). She actually did 26 assignments in the foreign language class, but 2 of the grades were below 60% and we didn't know at the time that the 4 extra credit assignments would count as part of the 20 needed. If she had taken it for a grade (currently 1 point from passing), she would have had to do at least 1 of the 6 assignments she didn't do (there was one worth 50 points that even if she only got a 50% on it, would have brought her "real" grade up to a C- and if she got a 50% on all 6 assignments, it would have been a C+).

No clue what the school is doing in the fall, but we really want YG to switch to the online school she has wanted to do for several years now, especially if the local school is doing all online or hybrid learning. The online school's program is DESIGNED for online education with several years of success under their belts.

Attachments

• Student Links.jpg
    Student Links.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: cmg
My daughter starts tomorrow and I am really hopeful that she will be happy to be back at the gym. During the quarantine the gym owner and coaches cleaned, rearranged, and got new equipment for the gym. It looks the best I have ever seen it (we have been going for 10 years now) and I am super excited for her to get back into the new and improved gym. I just hope she is not too hard on herself when she finds she has lost skills. She is such a perfectionist. She has been working out a lot since her school ended a couple of weeks ago and looks to be in pretty good shape, but she is really hard on herself when she can't do something, especially bars. I have heard that bars is the hardest event to get back into so we will see. She will be driving herself now since she got her license so I guess the good thing is that I won't have to deal with her when she gets into the car after a bad practice!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back