Gym over for the year! :(

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
I am done gymnastics for the year and want to know how to keep in shape and gain muscle over the summer so i dont loose everything! I also dont want to be sore when i first go back to classes. I do have a few weeks in the summer but the first one isnt till the end of july. and then only 2 more after that.

I just want some suggetions of stuff to do to keep in shape. I dont have access to any fitness stuff really just an exercise ball and exercise bike. I have a pool but it isnt put up yet, and i have a trampoline..

Oh and even though gym is over : ( i still have school, why couldnt school have ended and gym kept going. I have school till the end of june then 3 weeks summer school in july (i am taking phys ed. and CALM)

And im P3 (about level 7) usually train 12 hours a week during the year.

Keep the flexibility by stretching as often as you would have if you were still at gym. Splits, oversplits, shoulder stretches on a chair, bridge, wrists, etc

Also, condition. I know it may be boring alone or at home, but you could come up with a program between the pool (cardio) and trampoline.

Let me know if you want specific conditioning exercises. I mean I am sure you know lots but.. I have lots I could post.

Thanks, i would love to know some of the specific conditioning things you suggest. I really need to work on my core for balance (really wobbly on beam) so anything in that area would be appreciated.

Okay core conditioning. Just a few suggestions...

Here are a few things we work on (mind you my group is only 5 and 6 year olds)

Boat Hold
Arch Hold (long as you can)
Boat Rockers
Arch Rockers
Side Rockers

To increase tightness, think of placing a sponge in your feet.

V-Snaps
Tuck Ups
Straddle Ups
Crunches 10x, then hold the crunch in the air and "pulse" for 10 seconds, 5 sets

Twisties (sit in a tuck position, lean back slightly so your feet lift off floor), place object in your hand and twist with your core so that object in your hand taps floor on either side of your body, 25X - increase weight of obkject in hands tomake more difficult

Frisbees at home? Place feet in one and hands in other, do inchworms, focus on a tight core. Squeeze it during this exercise lots.

Leg Raises, raise to candlestick, then lower down to boat position 10x - slow and controlled

i still have school, why couldnt school have ended and gym kept going.
Move to the states. Most (if not all) competitive gymnasts train throughout the year here.:p

As for what to do to stay in shape, how about talking to your coach(es)? I am sure they have strength and flexibility drills you can do on your own. It's probably best to do off-season training that is similar to your normal program anyway. They might even have suggestions for maybe a (cheap) gym class here and there.

I am from Alberta, what about you? I know some gyms have hours that increase our gym though is more of a fun gym and not super competitive, we have like 500 recreational kids and only like 19 competitive and we also have LEAP (like TOPS in the USA) and there are about 20 of them

Ask your coach what you should do and I'm sure she'll (or he'll) be able to help! Our gym is on a week long break right now and my coaches were thrilled that I asked what I should do to stay in shape (better then sitting on my butt watching TV...not that i'd do that).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back