Parents Gym trials

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

PennyMom

Proud Parent
Hi everyone, I've been a longtime lurker (I'm not creepy, I swear!) but am pushed into the open because it looks like our gym isn't going to make it and I'm exploring other options. What are some things you look for during a trial of a new gym? My girls are young and only one competed JO last year (level 3), while another trained pre-team. We are in NY.

Following not because I have helpful advice but because my daughter may be in a similar boat. We live in Region 2 so there aren’t tons of options. Her gym reopened two weeks ago but with only rec and Xcel. It dissolved its JO program because there isn’t enough time and space to keep all three and meet state guidelines (or at least, that’s what they said publicly). For us, I don’t think it’s the right time to even try switching gyms because I can’t imagine other area gyms will have space for new compulsory and pre-team athletes, and I’m curious what you’ll experience. Gyms in NY state seem to be following rules similar to ours. Based on reopening here, I think it would be tough to get a sense of culture and a gym’s “normal” atmosphere with social distancing and small groups, especially without being able to hear the usual parent and athlete chatter and seeing a lot of training groups working out at the same time. I would be trying to figure out how stable the athlete numbers were at my daughter’s level and making sure the coaches at the trial are the actual coaches your daughter would work with in the future. Right now a lot of our coaches are covering different groups than usual to minimize potential exposure.

Good luck!

Aside from Covid-19 safety protocols ... Coach - gymnast interaction; use of space; condition of the equipment; are there a lot of gymnasts wearing ankle / knee braces or injured. You also want to know their fee structure (practice, competition gear, coaches fees for meets, any required practice gear, etc), hours per level and gym requirements to move up a level, parent requirements. If possible, while remaining socially distant, chat up parents and get their input on the gym.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back