Parents Gym types and sore wrists

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

TallaB

Proud Parent
Sorry, I have to seperate questions.
My 7.5 yr old is on preteam and on track to start Xcel bronze in the spring. She currently attends 4 hrs of gym/Wk and practices maybe 1-2 hrs/week at home.
Question 1 is regarding gym types. Admittedly I don't know much about gym but I'm concerned with how they teach. I see Instagram accounts where they're always doing drills and have various equipment peices to help. My daughter attended a separate camp this summer where they helped her get her backbend/kickovers and then back walkover by going through various stations and having a spot when actually trying. At her gym I cringe everytime the coaches say "Ok backbend" and half the kids fall on their head. This was an example - but they don't drill. They just practice the skill over and over until you have it. Is that common? Also, there's no pit and I watch these older girls tumble and Should I be looking into another gym or am I over reacting.
2 - daughter has been complaining of sore wrists during practice and is constantly shaking them out. Is there a solution or just rest? They seem to be fine after practice.

I only have a few years of experience in this (DD's 3rd year competing), but I would also be concerned about the lack of drills/skill progressions. I'm not a coach, but drills seem to be the standard way to teach skills. A gym that lacks a pit could also be a concern, unless they have some other equipment in place to compensate.

Sore wrists during but not after practice? Could this be related to a specific skill she's working on, like round offs or something that involves impact on the hands? I'd want to get that checked out by a doctor, as wrist issues can be pretty serious if not addressed early on (based on the experience of other people that I've read here).

Firstly she shouldn't really be practising at home; she will develop form issues which can lead to injuries and problems later on.
Secondly she is so young to be using wrist supports already. I would be concerned and would speak to a coach to make sure she warms up properly and is not over-using them. May be a form issue with one of the skills she is doing.
Third about gym types I would find out if this is their method of coaching in all levels or if it is just her coach. If that is their standard method of coaching all levels I would have a look at other gyms in your area, ask to watch a session and consider making a switch. Also I don't know what your plans are for your daughter but once a gymnast reaches level 5ish they need a pit to practice safely. You may want to consider this if looking at other gyms.
Good Luck!

Secondly she is so young to be using wrist supports
I’m not sure what you are basing that statement on?

JMO, when they start landing on their wrists, it’s an OK time to start using supports.

I wish I had gotten mine in supports sooner.

When this came up when my kid first started having wrist issues. Someone posted if wrists were meant to support our body weight we would walk on them not our feet. It stuck with me.

In many other sports you wear support equipment and you don’t wait to wear them. Yet it seems in this sport it is looked upon as a failing or not necessary to want to protect body parts that they need for the rest of their life.

Its like older gymnastics coaches who think grips aren’t necessary until like Level 9/10, if at all

Or maybe it’s a girl thing. Because I’m also stunned they don’t require helmets for girls lacrosse. Apparently boys heads are more important. We actually got our school to purchase them and my kid wears one. There is actually a warning on the ball when you buy it. May cause injury or death.

To circle back around when they start landing on their wrists it’s a good time to protect them.

I’m not sure what you are basing that statement on?

JMO, when they start landing on their wrists, it’s an OK time to start using supports.

I wish I had gotten mine in supports sooner.

When this came up when my kid first started having wrist issues. Someone posted if wrists were meant to support our body weight we would walk on them not our feet. It stuck with me.

In many other sports you wear support equipment and you don’t wait to wear them. Yet it seems in this sport it is looked upon as a failing or not necessary to want to protect body parts that they need for the rest of their life.

Its like older gymnastics coaches who think grips aren’t necessary until like Level 9/10, if at all

Or maybe it’s a girl thing. Because I’m also stunned they don’t require helmets for girls lacrosse. Apparently boys heads are more important. We actually got our school to purchase them and my kid wears one. There is actually a warning on the ball when you buy it. May cause injury or death.

To circle back around when they start landing on their wrists it’s a good time to protect them.
Sorry I for some reason I thought OP was talking about a 5yr old. Reread and realised my mistake. No it is not young to put wrist supports on a 7.5 year old.

A pit is a deal breaker for me after we had a girl come over from a well known gym in the area that doesn’t have a pit but does a lot of upskilling, who shattered her leg so thoroughly it required two years worth of surgeries and 6 months in a wheel chair. Catastrophic injuries can happen at any time, but usually not to a level 3, and not with the sheer frequency that happens with them. My kid is also particular to throwing herself into skills so I really need to know there’s a pit for learning skills into.

Also drills make the skills. My daughter spent months just doing backwards rolls on a wedge to practice keeping her head in for back tucks. Over and over.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back