WAG Gymnast/Coach ratio for L3-6

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MomOfAthletes

Proud Parent
What is gymnast/coach ratio in your gyms for levels 3-6?
At our gym there are 18 to 25 gymnasts for 2 coaches split into two groups usually. One coach is coaching vault/bars and the other beam/floor. Is there any official requirements to gymnast/coach ratio?

There is no regulation saying how many gymnasts can be in a class.

The right number depends on so many factors, mainly the quality and experience of the coach. But many other things too like the space available, the layout, equipment available, age of the gymnasts, even the temperament of the gymnasts, variation in skill level etc.

At our gym there are 18 to 25 gymnasts for 2 coaches split into two groups usually. One coach is coaching vault/bars and the other beam/floor. Is there any official requirements to gymnast/coach ratio?
18 gymnasts for 2 coaches seems like a lot unless the coaches are both experienced. I've seen a number of practices where one medium experience coach and a young junior assistant coach struggle to keep 10 L3s on track. I think 18 of them would be a way too much for that level of coaching experience.

Currently somewhere between 16-18 girls and 2 coaches for level 4. Still moving kids around throughout the summer. Hoping we will settle in around 8:1 come fall.
Last year was 30:3 for level 3 and I didn’t love it.

18 gymnasts for 2 coaches seems like a lot unless the coaches are both experienced. I've seen a number of practices where one medium experience coach and a young junior assistant coach struggle to keep 10 L3s on track. I think 18 of them would be a way too much for that level of coaching experience.

That what I thought too... And this is multilevel group, some girls practicing giants and need spotting some still perfecting L4 routines. Girls have only 1-2 attempts to practice higher skills especially on bars or don't have an opportunity to try at all...

Currently somewhere between 16-18 girls and 2 coaches for level 4. Still moving kids around throughout the summer. Hoping we will settle in around 8:1 come fall.
Last year was 30:3 for level 3 and I didn’t love it.
thank you! Our rec classes have 6 kids/coach but team practices look overcrowded in our gym :)

Having really small groups is not always the best way either. There is often the idea that a smaller gymnast:coach ratio is always better. But I find that’s not the case.

Having a slightly larger group often creates and energy and a flow, that is missing in tiny groups. I find there is a magic number for maximum learning and if you go smaller the flow slows down.

Kids also learn a lot from each other, seeing peers get new skills, cheering each other on etc makes a big difference. That can also be lacking in a really small group.

A college professor could have hundreds in a class all the way down to 1 on 1 research type projects. Gymnastics can have a wide range as well… depends on many many factors.

Maybe a club runs 2 coaches on bars for spotting… but they have a higher ratio on things like dance or strength to enable the extra coach on bars.

I would look for an overall ratio of 12:1 or lower.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back