Parents Gymnast "Stuck"

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mompoul

Proud Parent
Has anyone had a gymnast that got "stuck" at a level? She scores well (36s), not super high because she has struggled with vault, but this summer has been rough for her. I'm not sure if she grew a bit (she recently turned 13), but she has lost skills and pretty much been stuck at her current skill level. She has competed a BHS BHS beautifully on the beam for 3 years, but she just can't seem to figure out how to get the height on a BHS Layout or a back tuck on beam. She's so frustrated and I wonder if she's close to quitting. She has had struggles in the past, but never to the point that she feels like she can't progress any further. Any advice?

Sounds like a growth spurt is coming; super common at this age, not much you can do, just be there to support her and don't push. Good coaches should be understanding and willing to work with her to get through the struggles she is having.

We have had some girls stall out for a variety of reasons. Usually it is one event that is lagging behind others which is hard cause they probably score really well at the level they are at but they just arent quite at the next level yet. I am sure its very frustrating for your kiddo. Don't have much advice but just wanted to say she's definitely not alone in this.

We had a girl stuck at level 7 for 3+ years. Due to fear issues, she couldn't flip a vault, or twist on floor, or connect anything higher than BWO-BHS on beam. She ended up switching to Xcel Platinum.

In your case if beam is her only holdout, can she compete the next level up, and just take the lower start value on beam?

I've lost count of the number of times my daughter lost and regained skills between the ages of 12-15. I think her center of mass wandered all over the place, and just when she starts getting it figured out, it's on the move again. I didn't know this process could take so long. It's impacted her bars and beam the worst, so she'll be repeating this year. On the flip side though, she's really improved her vaulting and tumbling over this time because she's gained strength and power. Focus on the positives. The fact that she keeps working to get the skills back so she can start trying to making progress again is how I know she loves gymnastics, even when it's hard. To me, that's the reason she's still there whereas the majority of her upper optional teammates have retired.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back