Parents Gymnast with ADHD

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

We are in the process of adjusting meds. That’s been a nightmare in and of itself. She has a short acting pill she takes in the afternoon for gymnastics and it’s a super super low dose. 10mg and she takes 20mg in the day. This is after we adjusted from 5mg which did nothing. We had to go through 5-6 different meds before figuring out what worked for her. Stimulants in level 1 made her lose weight and she’s already underweight. Non-stimulants made her a zombie and she chose to lay on the floor for like 3 months in level 2 and basically do nothing. Of course that coach didn’t communicate that with me. Went back to a different stimulant for daytime which now needs to be increased as does the afternoon pill.

She did privates at the old gym - waste of money IMO bc coach had her working a bhs there with a spot, but made her do round offs in practice bc she was too lazy to coach my kid. I don’t think our gym now does privates. She did do multiple bhs clinics and extra practices, which is where she got the bhs. She’s doing kip clinics now, I’d like her to still do bhs clinic but they are the same day/time.

Good luck to you and your girl on meds!!
I hope you find the right medicine dose because I know that can make a huge difference. Non stimulants just knocked my daughter out. She is on a long acting stimulant but we are going to add a short acting soon. If privates aren’t an option keep doing the clinics and consider adding a tumbling class since you said floor is her weakness.

I hope you find the right medicine dose because I know that can make a huge difference. Non stimulants just knocked my daughter out. She is on a long acting stimulant but we are going to add a short acting soon. If privates aren’t an option keep doing the clinics and consider adding a tumbling class since you said floor is her weakness.
Yeah, I think the tumbling class is an awesome idea! Her XG coach is also the director of the tumbling program, so I think it would help! I’ve mentioned it to her, and I’m gonna let her decide.

My DD came from USAIGC to JO. IGC resembles XCEL. DD garnered many skills in IGC but never enjoyed working on perfection. Her current JO coaches have certain/different expectations than her IGC coaches, both sets of coaches had technical ability. It was the change in expectations that helped my DD move her gymnastics to a higher level.

I guess my contribution to your discussion is this:
My son has ADHD and I believe DD has a mild case herself. At best she is a dreamer, but whatever the case her ability to concentrate must come from an outside stimulus. If your DD's new coaches understand what she needs and do their best to fulfill her needs she can still reach her dreams as long as she works hard and believes in herself.

I want to assure you that 10 years old is not "behind,' even though it is older than most kids at her level. My dd started gymnastics classes at 9. She turned 11 during level 3. She is now 15, the 9th grade, and training level 9. (She might repeat 8 next year, but it is too early to tell.) She is in a level 8/9 combined training group at her gym. Out of the 9 girls in her 8/9 training group, the range from 7th grade to 12th grade.

It sounds like xcel is a great option for her, really.

I want to assure you that 10 years old is not "behind,' even though it is older than most kids at her level. My dd started gymnastics classes at 9. She turned 11 during level 3. She is now 15, the 9th grade, and training level 9. (She might repeat 8 next year, but it is too early to tell.) She is in a level 8/9 combined training group at her gym. Out of the 9 girls in her 8/9 training group, the range from 7th grade to 12th grade.

It sounds like xcel is a great option for her, really.
Such a relief! Thanks for sharing that!!! :) I just also feel she’s “behind” because she has been in gymnastics year round consistently since age 5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back