Gymnastic Book recommendations

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi All
:)

I'm mom to 3 gymnasts - level 6, 3 and 1. We're from Cape Town, South Africa. My DD's are gymnastics crazy, but unfortunately there are very few books etc available for them to read that are specific to gymnastics. Does anyone have any suggestions for me on the best books to order for them (can order through amazon.com)? I just find it frustrating ordering through the internet and not being able to "look through" the book to get a feel of whether it would be suitable! I'm looking for fiction or non-fiction.

Would just like to add that I really enjoy reading through the forum - sooo much information! Unfortunately gymnastics is not a popular sport in SA and does not receive nearly as much coverage as it should (in my opinion :confused:)

Thanks

Not so sure how old your gymnasts are but there was a book i read from the go girl series called "the worst gymnast" about a girl in the level 6 team really wanting to impress her coach etc I loved it when I read it, Probably best for about 8-10 year olds and younger its a pretty easy read

I have read a series called The Gymnasts. They are good for younger children! They are slightly dated- from the 80's probably.

The Gym Rats books are for about the right age range. My DD read them this year, at age 10, and they were too easy for her, but she still liked them and passed them down to a younger teammate. The author posts here on occasion. There are only two books so far, but I believe the author plans to write more. The girls in the books are level 5 (I think... maybe 4). I know my DD was hoping that, in second book, they would have moved up a level, but that didn't happen.

Gym Rats

Edit to ramble just a bit...
I still wish there was more of a "tween" series of gym books. I know several of us have posted about the difficulty in getting our daughters to read. Even though my gymmie is a good reader (and even scores a bit higher than her nose-always-in-a-book sister on the reading section of the state standardized test) it is tough to get her to read chapter books for pleasure. She would rather flip through her animal encylopedia and read about the mating habits of the three-toed-sloth, or whatever... little snippets of reading on whatever subject catches her fancy at the time. I KNOW she would read a good gymnastics series if one was available and age-appropriate.

Perfect 10 looks really good = it has great reviews, but I think I'll wait until my oldest is a teen herself before I let her read that. Gym Rats look ideal, but are out of stock on amazon! Has anyone read "Letters to a Young Gymnast" by Nadia Comenici?

I LOVE "The Little Gymnast" By Sheila Haigh. Got it at an antique store when I was about 10, I'm pretty sure you can get it online.

I'm still working on my series. I'm almost finished with the first book. Now, to get it published, I don't know. I'm not a writer. But we'll see.

I loved "The Little Gymnast" as a girl, too.

THanks everyone! Will see what I can get hold of online. Bar Coach - Looking forward to reading your books! Contact me if you want your booked distributed in SA:)

Has anyone read "Letters to a Young Gymnast" by Nadia Comenici?

I bought it for my 10 yr old for Christmas and read it before I gave it to her (wanted to make sure it would be age-appropriate) She is currently devouring it and I thought the message was really good: Basically work hard and do your best and don't expect miracles to happen at competition, you have to have the skills first. Anyway, it's great but not really a little kids book, but probably would be good for your oldest.

Yes for older teens/preteens biographies are great!!
I've read one by Kerri Strug, Mary-lou Retton
I've read the Chalked-up one by Jennifer Sey and I personally love it, but this one I'd def. save for the teen years.
I know Shawn Johnson has one out that you can get on Amazon as well.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back