Gymnastics 101

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Okay, not for the list. This is actually a good quote from Tim:
"Most moms can't watch their girls on balance beam, whether its level 3 or elite."

We have certainly found this to be true!

Just moms? What about dads?
ETA: probably OT, sorry :D

Any reference to the beam only being
4 inches wide needs to be added to the gym commentator drinking game.

Also add the phrase "blind landing", and maybe "this is a disaster" in reference to mistakes that really don't even look like mistakes to the average person <- doesn't really apply as much to Olympic EF's cause small mistakes are a big deal in those, but it cracks me up when Tim says that in regular meets over things like someone missing a connection on beam ;).

In honor of floor finals today, let's not forget the massive freakout whenever someone goes out of bounds. You know. As if we were watching tennis, football, or soccer, with lots of replays so we can SEE if they went out of bounds or not, because . . . it might be a one tenth deduction. It's almost as important as STICKING THE LANDING on the last pass, right?

And in honor of high bar finals, I think you need to chug the remainder of whatever is in your cup any time someone says "high-flying release move."

sheesh, no wonder you moan about your commentary !

We get screechy Christine, (top level coach and gym owner), Dan Keatings (ex olympian) Beth Tweddle and Matt Bakert (ex gymnast) talking about each move, their difficulty value, expected deductions, possible upgrades etc.

sheesh, no wonder you moan about your commentary !

We get screechy Christine, (top level coach and gym owner), Dan Keatings (ex olympian) Beth Tweddle and Matt Bakert (ex gymnast) talking about each move, their difficulty value, expected deductions, possible upgrades etc.

Oh no...we get Al blowing hot air and not reallly saying anything, and Tim, saying things like the above, or "he is going to let go and grab the bar again. It is crucial that he hang on" ANd Nastia occassionally trying to say something actually gymnastic-y, but having it dumbed down by NBC> It is so much fun :confused:o_O

Oh no...we get Al blowing hot air and not reallly saying anything, and Tim, saying things like the above, or "he is going to let go and grab the bar again. It is crucial that he hang on" ANd Nastia occassionally trying to say something actually gymnastic-y, but having it dumbed down by NBC> It is so much fun :confused:o_O
I bet if we scratched the list of crap the guys say, and just made it a game where we only take a shot when Nastia tries to say something...we could all share one bottle of alcohol.

I thought for one brief shining moment last night that Simone's fall on beam was going to lead to a revelation. A revelation that the green/yellow/red scores mean NOTHING. I thought they might have to explain how young women with green scores could lose to someone with a yellow (or did Simone hit red - I honestly wasn't paying close attention). After all, the only thing that matters is keeping those deductions to a minimum.

Reactions: sce
I thought for one brief shining moment last night that Simone's fall on beam was going to lead to a revelation. A revelation that the green/yellow/red scores mean NOTHING. I thought they might have to explain how young women with green scores could lose to someone with a yellow (or did Simone hit red - I honestly wasn't paying close attention). After all, the only thing that matters is keeping those deductions to a minimum.
The colors just refer to the size of the margin of error. If her starting score is say 16.5 and she scores a 15, that's yellow because the deduction is 1.5, if someone else starts with a 15, and scores a 14.5, that's green bc it's only .5 in deductions. Simone still wins.

Ps. I'm not sure if the numbers are exact, just illustrating for example.

The colors just refer to the size of the margin of error. If her starting score is say 16.5 and she scores a 15, that's yellow because the deduction is 1.5, if someone else starts with a 15, and scores a 14.5, that's green bc it's only .5 in deductions. Simone still wins.

I understand that completely.

However, the US prime time coverage never explained that. They made the colors the be all and end all.

I bet if we scratched the list of crap the guys say, and just made it a game where we only take a shot when Nastia tries to say something...we could all share one bottle of alcohol.
So true! I was yelling get at the TV last night "C'mon Nastia! Simone just grabbed the beam. SAY SOMETHING! You competed beam. You have the knowledge. Don't let Al & Tim take over here."

oops hit post too soon.

I think that NBC thinks the entire olympic watching country is populated by idiots. I fully believe that the combo of execution and difficulty is within the potential of Mary Midwest (or whoever Nastia is supposed to be talking to).

I used to think the colors were because they thought Americans were stupid.

After reading that he is proud to admit that he hasn't even bothered to learn what an Amanar is, I have come to the conclusion that the color system is for Al--HE can't be bothered to figure out if a score is good or not. HE is the one NBC producers think is stupid.

I stopped watching the NBC evening coverage and watch the online stream with Courtney, John and the other guy (name???). The evening coverage with the color codes is mind numbing!!! I like Nastia but they never let her say enough.

That is exactly why the colors are so dumb. Just show the difficulty score and the execution score. Then people would understand the interplay of the 2!

That is exactly why the colors are so dumb. Just show the difficulty score and the execution score. Then people would understand the interplay of the 2!

Exactly. It is a lot easier to understand that gymnast A wins a medal with a fall when you are looking at the combo of a really high D score and a so so E score over a gymnast with a significantly lower D score with a decent E score.

The colors make it look like the E score is all that matters and makes the placements more rather than less difficult to understand.

LOL that the colors are for Al, not the viewers.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back