Parents Gymnastics and Diving?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Really

Proud Parent
Hi Chalkbucket family! I was wondering if any of you have experience with training in gymnastics AND springboard diving. I took DD (who is moving up to L4 in the summer) to her first diving class yesterday and we are planning on continuing through their summer session, but she expressed concern that some of the techniques she learned for diving are different than what she has been taught in gymnastics. She said she's worried she "might learn bad habits" from diving, which is probably language she's learned from her gym coach, who tells them not to practice things at home because she's worried they might develop "bad habits." The diving coach is not a quack-- she's trained state and national champs, and the one who will be training DD for summer session is a former Olympic diver, so I'm confident that the correct diving techniques are being taught. Have any of you or your kids done BOTH diving and gymnastics at the same time? Did you find that training in both concurrently was a bad idea? Should I give her gym coaches a heads-up so they are aware that there is cross-training going on? Any feedback here would be much appreciated!

My ODD has a friend who is a L8/IGC platinum, and also does JO diving. She trains gymnastics 22 hours a week and often goes from one practice to the other. Both coaches know and approve of the dual activities. If forced to choose the girls parents would choose diving.

one of the girls in our gym does both. however, she moved from JO to excel to accommodate both sports. she travels around quite a bit with diving. her diving coach said to not quit gymnastics because the tumbling really helps those complex dives. she does low and high board and synchronized dives. she's very good. and fearless. she trains out of MIT but i'm not sure which team she's on. she's young too. 11 or 12.

Really not a good idea to do both. The technique is different which can make nth sports highly dangerous, as inevitably at some point the wrong salto technique will come into one of them.

My DD is level 7 and a HS diver, so she only dives about 3 months out of the year and diving season is usually finished before we have our first JO meet of the competitive season. She doesn't think either sport has hurt the other, but probably helped her pick up diving more quickly. The hardest thing is the hours practicing both and doing homework.

Let her try it. Gymnasts specialize so early if she can differentiate then she will be that much more spacially aware. If both continue for more than a year or two she will have to pick but for now. Tell both coaches, don't ask, and go for it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back