WAG Gymnastics Arch Body Position: Suck in Abs and Squeeze the Glutes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

In gymnastics, I am working on the Arch Position for the back handspring. In the Arch body position, should I follow some of the same principles of the hollow body position?

(a) Should I suck in the abs/stomach?
(b) Should I squeeze the glutes also?

I got the back handspring, just working on the finer principles.

1647326257216.png

1647326270069.png

Reactions: sun
Do not suck in your abs, squeezing them is great. open your back and raise your shoulders up to cover your ears. Squeeze your glutes.

what are your training goals?

Do not suck in your abs, squeezing them is great. open your back and raise your shoulders up to cover your ears. Squeeze your glutes.

what are your training goals?
I thought in the "hollow body" position, it says to tuck in the abs, is this different from "arch body" ? I am just working on back handspring, etc thanks!

In both shapes, your whole body should be tight.
In a hollow, your abs are more responsible for the tightness
In an arch, your back is more responsible for the tightness.
This is a perfect explanation.

Your abs shouldn't be loose in an arched position, but they shouldn't be doing the bulk of the work. Your back muscles are the ones that make you arch -- your abs should just maintain tension to keep everything stable.

It's the reverse for a hollow. When you're in a hollow shape, your abs are doing the work to pull you into that shape, while your back muscles maintain tension to keep the position stable.

'Sucking in the abs' would go to far and won't allow for a proper arch-position.
It is however a good idea to pay some attention to tight abs. As Geoffrey Taucer said they are responsible for keeping you stable during your BHS.
I see this problem a lot in Tap-Swings. If you use your back muscles only you will automatically 'over arch' which will make you unable to transfer the speed and energy into your shoulders.
You will also get very, very sore back muscles. ;)

Tight glutes, legs and open shoulders are other key points to help you optimize your momentum.

This is a perfect explanation.

Your abs shouldn't be loose in an arched position, but they shouldn't be doing the bulk of the work. Your back muscles are the ones that make you arch -- your abs should just maintain tension to keep everything stable.

It's the reverse for a hollow. When you're in a hollow shape, your abs are doing the work to pull you into that shape, while your back muscles maintain tension to keep the position stable.
hi @Geoffrey Taucer
(a) So suck in the abs gently/lightly but not too much? I've only done gymnastics for 6 months, I know what tight legs means, but what does "tight abs" mean? I believe coach said "suck in the core stomach", to explain it easier to kids. How would you explain it?

(b) How about the glutes, same thing?

Thanks !

Thanks,

Squeezing your abs in arch position -to me- feels like a gentle "pushing outwards".
It's gonna be hard to answer this though... Like "how do you move your arm?" It's all going to be electrical signals sent from your brain, and deeply personal. It might be something you have to discover for yourself.

hi @Geoffrey Taucer
(a) So suck in the abs gently/lightly but not too much? I've only done gymnastics for 6 months, I know what tight legs means, but what does "tight abs" mean? I believe coach said "suck in the core stomach", to explain it easier to kids. How would you explain it?

(b) How about the glutes, same thing?

Thanks !

Thanks,
To me, the best approach isn't to focus on specific muscles, but just on keeping general body tension. If you're in an arch, but your body is tight and not floppy, then your abs are doing what they need to do.

One more thought - if you really aren't sure if the muscle you're targeting is tight or not, you can simply poke yourself. Tight muscles feel tight, loose muscles do not. Obviously not a good idea in a bhs, but you can easily check your tightness in a hollow rock.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back