Off Topic Gymnastics books and movies

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

If anyone has suggestions I would love them, especially the books. I am thirteen and almost fourteen, so I normally read Young Adult fiction. Swears and romance is fine as long as it doesn’t hint at or say anything dirty.
the only gymnastics movie I have found good is stick it.
books I have read about gymnastics are
break the fall
lauren’s secret
the happiest girl in the world
I have also read the perfect balance series by Melissa torres but those are a little below my interest and reading level. The optional series is good though.
I very very highly recommend break the fall and Lauren’s secret. Those are both sooooooo good. I finished Lauren’s secret in 3 hours, reading straight, without being forced, 227 pages. I can give summary’s if anyone wants them,

I loved Break the Fall! It's one of my favorite gymnastics novels.

My other favorite book is "Tumbling" by Caela Carter. (Just know that it does discuss eating disorders, sexuality and has minor swearing). It's a book about the perspectives of five different gymnasts that are at the Olympic Trials.

I do not have any good gymnastics movies, but if you're interested in gymnastics TV shows, I would recommend "My Perfect Landing" which is about a girl named Jenny who is trying to get on her school's gymnastics team but her mother does not let her compete above a level 4, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED "Gymnastics Academy: A Second Chance" which is about a group of gymnasts trying to get a scholarship to an elite gymnastics academy.

I loved Break the Fall! It's one of my favorite gymnastics novels.

My other favorite book is "Tumbling" by Caela Carter. (Just know that it does discuss eating disorders, sexuality and has minor swearing). It's a book about the perspectives of five different gymnasts that are at the Olympic Trials.

I do not have any good gymnastics movies, but if you're interested in gymnastics TV shows, I would recommend "My Perfect Landing" which is about a girl named Jenny who is trying to get on her school's gymnastics team but her mother does not let her compete above a level 4, and I LOVED LOVED LOVED "Gymnastics Academy: A Second Chance" which is about a group of gymnasts trying to get a scholarship to an elite gymnastics academy.
I literally just bought that book! And yes I have watched those two shows. Also if you liked break the fall then you would also probably love The Happiest Girl in the World. it also used Larry nassar’s crimes as inspiration for a fictional novel. Also if you are into those types of books then you will probably love Lauren’s secrect. It is about a girl who was training for the Olympics witnessed a mafia murder and was chased and almost killed then she had to go under witness protection and give up her Olympic dreams but then she moved to a new state and started high school cheer and dealt with mean girls and stuff. It is soooooooooooooooooooo good. Legit my fav.

Are you open to nonfiction? The End of the Perfect Ten is a great read, and I also really enjoyed Aly Raisman and Shannon Miller's autobiographies.

My favourite gymnastics movie (the movie that made we want to start gymnastics!) is without a doubt Full Out. 7 year old me saw that one afternoon and the next day I was doing cartwheels and handstands in the backyard. What’s even more inspiring is it’s based on a true story! It’s no longer on Netflix (because of course they have to remove all the good stuff…) but it is on YouTube. Maybe I’m just biased because of nostalgia, but if you haven’t seen it, I highly recommend you do!

There's also Winner Takes Gold, by me, Eloise Smith!
Winner_Takes_Gold small.png

How do you feel about B-movies? Meaning movies that are so incredibly bad, they come back around on the other side and become hilarious?

If that's your sort of thing, Gymkata is hilariously awful

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back