Gymnastics camp IGC!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

Gymnasticsgirl

I'm going week 5 and 6 to international gymnastics camp. I'm so excited! :). I want to know all your IGC information! I'm leaving in 3 days so the sooner the better! Please tell me about food, screening, coaching, recreation and everything in between! :) I'm also worried about meeting friends seeing I'm going alone. Anyway, let me know! Thanks In advanced.

*Gasp* You get to go to IGC??? Oh my gosh, you are so lucky! I have been wanting to go for a long time, but it is so expensive, plus the small issue of me living all the way across the country :D

As for the info, I obviously can't give you much since I haven't been. But if you go up to the search bar in the upper right corner and type in International Gymnastics Camp, you will get a lot of threads with a lot of good information. They are very helpful.

As far as making friends, I'm sure you will have no problem with that. I've heard that the people there are very nice and you make a lot of friends. I'm sort of shy, so it is sometimes hard for me to reach out to people. What I sometimes do is find someone who looks about your age and looks nice like someone you would want to be friends with. Then you can go up and ask kind of a general question as an icebreaker. It will be easier at IGC, since you all have something in common-gymnastics! So you could ask what level they are in or something.

I'm sure you will have a blast! Hope you have lots of fun, and let us know how you liked it when you get back!

Like livelaughtumble I have never been to IGC. But I have some advice for the making friends part of your question.

I have gone to woodward so it is probably the same situation with meeting new people. I wouldnt be worried at all. I have confidence that there will be someone in your training group, cabin, that you met at screening that you will get a long with. I have only gone to camp with teammates, but I found that everytime we go we meet new people. Meaning teams that come often become friends with the single campers. Last summer I went with only 1 teammate and by the end of the week the group we hung out with every night was with 6 other single campers. So basically even though many people will come with teammates or friends everyone is looking to meet someone new at camp, so they will be nice to you and invite you to do things with them. SO i wouldnt be to worried I hope you have a great time, and cant wait to hear about your experience!:)

My dd (age 8) just got back from IGC. She went last week and had a blast! She LOVES the food. It's her favorite part next to the gymnastics. From the pictures I saw online, it looked like she spent the week mostly with her cabin mates. She went without any teammates. Be sure to bring props /clothing to match your theme for the cabin cheers! We had it easy with a 4th of July theme. I'm sure you will have a great time.

I think for screening you do your biggest skill (with or without a spot) on floor and bars. Not sure...

For the screening im pretty sure it is similar to woodward in that you test bars and beam. so you go to bars and they are like can you do cast hs, giants, cleaer hips, etc. and if you can, you show them. Then for floor its like back tuck, back layout, full, front handspring front layout. Then they just ask what vault you are training. I dont know what level you are but I wouldnt worry.

For testing, from what I've read, I think you show them your hardest back tumbling on floor (with no spot) and hardest skills on the low bar (again, not spot). Could be wrong though.

My DD's have gone for the past 3 years, in fact my youngest is there this week.
First of all it is a very well run camp with great counselors, coaches, gymnastics and oh yes the food. Even my older daughter who is picky said the food is awesome.
On Sunday they will split you up into workout groups. This is done by size and skill/competition level. The screening is basically what others have said-hardest skill on floor, bars is cast handstand and clear hips I believe. The workout groups are nice and small 6-8 girls I think.

It is very easy to make friends. You will get to spend time with your cabin mates but your work out groups will be with some different girls as well. There are many fun planned activities as well as time on your own.

They will absolutely not allow any electronics (phones, laptops, iPods, ereaders) so don't bother trying to bring them.
I hope you have a great time, I'm sure you will!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back