WAG Gymnastics Camp

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I would suggest a college camp as well. DD attended IGC a few times and as a 11 year old Level 7 was not impressed with the gymnastics last year After first day trials she was placed in the most advanced group. She did love the camp life at IGC, including a bear in camp while at the beam gym. This year if she choses to attend a camp it will be a college camp.

My advice (from my own experience) is once you get above Level 6 or 7, working out in these fun camps is just too risky. The higher level skills on strange equipment, with strange coaches and spotters, raises your risk of injury. My daughter went as an 8 year old 4 and an 11 year old 8, with her team both times. The first time was perfect, the second time was a disaster. 3 higher level optionals including DD had season altering injuries this year at camp, that left 2 kids with surgery and no season at all this year. DD had a long healing, physical therapy, and now started a new season as a weaker 8 than she was last year. Did the camp do anything wrong? No, I don't blame anyone. Yet 3 of our kids came out with bad injuries. So my advice at her level is keep her gymnastics with her gym and coaches and let her take a week off to go to a real camp for fun. 1 week is so much better than 4 months out and surgery. She has lost a year and more, i am not sure whether physically she will ever be 100% back.

I appreciate all the feedback. She has attended a college camp for the past two years at UNH, which she did love...BUT, it’s only a total of 3 days...1/2 day the first day, 2 full days, then early pickup on the last day as a 1/2 day. She really loved the idea of IGC when we went to a Meet in the Bahamas in 2016. She was a level 6 then and I thought too young to go to sleep away camp for that long. I definitely don’t want any injuries though!!

My DD did igc three years in a row. She loved the camp every year. Last year she was unimpressed with the gymnastics. She is currently level 8. She did work double back dismount on bars and back tuck on beam at camp.

She loved the camp life and meeting kids from around the world. She had a cabin-mate from France.

If you did wants camp and gymnastics week camp in think she would igc.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back