Gymnastics for everyone!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Tally Ho

Coach
Proud Parent
As the squad colour discussion took off so well I thought I would like to find out about how you all feel on this subject!
I have 2 DD one very tall and slim, one average height but very muscly and much more solid built than people expect a gymnast to be.
The younger one who is the muscly one finds bars very hard but absolutely loves gymnastics, and with the rise if gymnasts like Simone Biles is loving the fact that she has a role model!
Also having such a tall gymnast like Catherine Lyons doing so well is great as it seems to be gymnastics really is for all shapes and sizes now!

I think that despite you "natural" body type, the more advanced skills can only be performed by girls with a favorable strength to weight ratio.

So if you are a endomorph or ectomorph you need the muscle.

Pink and fluffy is an ectomorph. She is nearly 10, wears 11 year old school trousers with an elasticated waist that I unpick, take in the waistband about 4 inches and then sew up again.

However on the height and weight charts she is average in both because of her muscle mass.

My girls are very different looking people and they both loved gymnasts and managed to excel in their own ways. My younger on is what I would call much more solid and she was great on bars.

Due to my lack of perspective during my career as a competitive gymnast I was convinced that from a certain point of difficulty gymnastics could only be performed by a certain body type.
I have been proofed wrong several times since then and I do believe now that gymnastics is possible for almost every body type if there is the will to work for it.
The style of gymnastics and even more the way they progress however is very different from type to type (and hell I LOVE to see that diversity in the gym!) and requires a way of coaching that is very focused on the individual gymnast.
A gym with a very specific way of coaching can only produce a specific style of gymnastics and therefor will only attract the body type that works well with that specific style.
(I am for that exact reason not quite sure how I feel about the very strict requirements of Compulsories)

I dont think too much about body types.

i think height to weight ratio is important. And body shape can determine how easy or difficult a skill is ? Possibly.

The one thing I have noticed is that the smaller gymnasts tend not to get as injured. Not sure if there is any basis to that, just what I have observed during my time in gym !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back