Gymnastics goals for 2009

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

kgymn

Gymnast
Hello and HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

I figured it would be a good chance to make some goals for gymnastics, being the new year and all, and I'm hoping to be able to accomplish all of them! Only one is a real stretch for me, though, so that is good. What are all of your goals? These are mine:

-get my front handspring consistent, not landing in a low squat
-get my roundoff back handspring back
-get my front and back walkovers back
-get my kip again
-get my squat on on bars back
-learn a front tuck for the first time!
-learn a roundoff on the balance beam.

For me the stretch is the front tuck, because I've never been terribly close to having one before. Most of the rest are things I was able to do, oh, 7 years ago or so (wow has it been that long?) and I have gotten most of my skills back so why not these right?

~Katy

Some of my goals for 2009 are:

Get good enough to compete (doing prep opt)
Learn a kip (after I get a proper glide)
Learn a handspring on the VAULT, not just the 4 foot mat
Learn a front and back handspring for floor
Control my cartwheel for beam
Work on my handstand on beam
Perhaps learn a back walkover on beam
And lots more I am not thinking of right now!

Those look like good goals. Mine are to:
get RO BHS on floor (not just tumble track)
get a cartwheel consistently on high beam
FHS tuck front on floor
glide kip on bars (I think I'm dreaming)
RO BHS back tuck
splits in all three directions - I figure I've got a year :)
flyaway on bars

My goals are:

~get my ROBHS back
~get my front and back tucks back
~combine a front tuck or layout with my front handspring
~cartwheels and walkovers on the beam
~back hip circle
I have a bunch more but that's all I can think of for now. And I have to get stronger!

My goals:

compete this year in the ladies division at the aau junior olympic games
roundoff backhandspring backfull on floor not just off tumbletrack
fronthandspring front tuck on floor
a 1/2 on with a back salto off vault
a giant on bars & be able to link all my bar skills together for a rountine

I started competing level 9 after a two year break (I'm 25 now and my first meet is tonight!) and I am really only a level eight. SO some of my goals include becoming a more competitive nine.

Vault: fhs 1.5 twist.
Bars: 1/2 pirouette
Beam: A consistent fhs so my flight series isn't messed up
Floor: My front full

I thought of another I want to work on too.... pullovers on bars, and back hip circles. I think I thought it was still going to be as easy as it was when I was 11..... :cool: Not so much

I thought of another I want to work on too.... pullovers on bars, and back hip circles. I think I thought it was still going to be as easy as it was when I was 11..... :cool: Not so much

I'm working on back hip circles and pullovers too. I get frustrated with myself because I'm pretty weak after a year off gymnastics. And I've never had an easy time with my long arms in the first place. :(

improve half on half off vault

a bars routine that includes at least one of a) clear hip - flyaway b) toeshoot and c)straddle underswing-uprise... for that they need to be very clean, because it's no requirement and the harder stuff will only get me deductions

beam
round off, arial mount, switch leap, cartwheel-tuck dismount

floor
get unscared of killing my ankles.
aerial cartwheel or front aerial
tour jete half
front half
a 2 salto pass

my goals for the year are to get in enough shape to do camp woodward.
vault: fhs 1/1. i did one for about three weeks. but i haven't vaulted since july.
bars: kip cast handstand without arching my back.
beam: i want a series if i decide to compete usag. right now i have a bhs back walk.
floor: fhs front tuck. a new floor routine. with some dancey stuff. i'm all skills, no dance

any suggestions for a beam series? i won't do bhs bhs (fractured foot when i was 15) thought about cartwheel bhs.

any suggestions for a beam series? i won't do bhs bhs (fractured foot when i was 15) thought about cartwheel bhs.

I'm a big fan of things that change plane- could you do a valdez to a BHS? That would be really pretty, and probably rather unique too!

~Katy

Let's see...
1. Make event finals on bars and floor at club nationals!
2. Compete AA and contribute to the team score on 3 events by the end of the season
3. BHS BHS consistently on beam
4. whip 1/2 FLO on floor
5. Don't ignore abnormally achy body parts (which means that I should probably start icing my foot now...)

I need to relearn a proper squat on. Or even better, pike on.

And a cast to handstand again.

Oh, and something forward and in a row would be good too.

Backhandspring on beam, of course.

And roundoff-whip-2 bhs-tuck.

All 3 splits is my goal for JUNE (I owe my students that one).

I'm a big fan of things that change plane- could you do a valdez to a BHS? That would be really pretty, and probably rather unique too!

~Katy

i love valdezes. i used to do one in my routines. but right now balk walkovers and valdezes are very inconsistent because of the lack of shoulder flexibility. therefore, i think a valdez bhs is a great goal for 2009. isn't it ironic that my bhs are way more consistent than my balk walkover.

I would like to primarily get my old level 8 skills back, and work on some new things.

Vault
Consistently have handspring full using the board (right now have been using mini tramp due to sore lower legs) and flip tsuks again.

Bars
Get my cast consistently to handstand, get my straddle backs back, work full twisting layout flyaways and doubles into pit, get 1/2 pirouette back, free hip to handstand would be great.

Beam
do bhs again on high beam, connected to a back walkover, do cartwheel layout dismount instead of just a tuck, go for front walkover on high beam.

Floor
Do layout 1/2 again, work on fulls at least on tumble track, do front handspring front pike or layout right into front tuck, have the endurance to get thru floor routine w/ level 8 tumbling, get double turn consistently.

I'm adding a goal! I want to get an aerial cartwheel! I'm putting it in the floor routine I'm making for some of us in my class (it will be a dive cartwheel until we can do aerials.)

~Katy

Don't feel bad Kgym, I think I have added like, three times! Another thing I want to get is to do a FHS on vault. Did I mention that already? And I want to really clean up and kick butt on the skills I can do now so others come as easily-dont think I could get any more vague than that!!!

I think I will add to my goals this year, a giant on bars (might have mentioned that already but that would be huge) and a layout flyaway and a backwalkover backhandspring on beam

improve half on half off vault

a bars routine that includes at least one of a) clear hip - flyaway b) toeshoot and c)straddle underswing-uprise... for that they need to be very clean, because it's no requirement and the harder stuff will only get me deductions

beam
round off, arial mount, switch leap, cartwheel-tuck dismount

floor
get unscared of killing my ankles.
aerial cartwheel or front aerial
tour jete half
front half
a 2 salto pass

So, a couple of weeks later, here's where I am:

Vault:
a bit inconsistent but okay,..whenever we just do preps on the mat I basically do a full of though, which I just can't seem to move over to the real vault (where I twist way too slowly, which just looks awkward most of the time)

Bars:
I can do toe shoots now, but the kip isn't always great. I make it most of the time though. I'm also competing clear hips, but not connected to flyaways yet, mostly because I find it hard to control my swing. Haven't done uprises in a while, but I won't need them this season

Beam:
switch leaps are okay,.. have stopped the roundoffs, cos I needed the time to perfect the switch leaps for my season. Everything else isn't happening either. Boo. But I'm happy with the switch leaps.

Floor:
Aerials are plain ugly,... but the not-killing-my-ankles thing is going okay. I've been working on front halves, which are...um..improving. BUt not quite there yet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back